• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCpapi

My questions is how do IL calculate the amount of arrears. The original order was for $600.00 ($300.00 per child) My daughter is 19 and I have been paying $300.00 since she graduated high school in May of 2010. My ex and son moved to IL where she opened a new case and GA reports an arrears for the 7 months that I was unemployed and is enforcing a garnishment( something that GA never did) for $600.00. Even-though I am not obligated to pay for my daughter who's 19 the child support social worker advised that their policy is that payment will revert back to the original ordered amount(in this case $600.00) until the arrears is satisfied. According to IL statute under Income Withholding for support act section 55 arrears should be calculated at 20% of the current support amount. Can anyone very this amount.

LdiJ

My questions is how do IL calculate the amount of arrears. The original order was for $600.00 ($300.00 per child) My daughter is 19 and I have been paying $300.00 since she graduated high school in May of 2010. My ex and son moved to IL where she opened a new case and GA reports an arrears for the 7 months that I was unemployed and is enforcing a garnishment( something that GA never did) for $600.00. Even-though I am not obligated to pay for my daughter who's 19 the child support social worker advised that their policy is that payment will revert back to the original ordered amount(in this case $600.00) until the arrears is satisfied. According to IL statute under Income Withholding for support act section 55 arrears should be calculated at 20% of the current support amount. Can anyone very this amount.
Dad, child support doesn't work that way. If you have two children and you have a 600.00 child support order its not 300.00 per child, and you cannot just adjust the amount yourself if one child ages out. You have to go back to court and get the child support modified when one child ages out.

Now, if you did get a modification or you had a really wierd order that did specify $300.00 per child, then generally yes, the child support enforcement agency is going to require that you continue to pay the original amount, in your case $600.00, until any arrearages are caught up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">