• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jordii3511

My ex is currently 700$ in arrears through child support services in NY. We have just began visitations and he has informed that he does not believe he should have to pay support for a child he hasn't even seen, I tried to persuade him with the knowledge that neither one has to do with the other. I am now concerned that at our next scheduled hearing on the 23rd of November he will be arrested and set us back months on visitations. I don't want to see this happen, and I wish thier was some way to persuade him to pay his dues as he agreed to 50$ a week at our last hearing. Child support services has yet to take any action, however he does not work on the books, has one other child, his license is already suspended, and he has not filed taxes in years. What should I do?

mistoffolees

My ex is currently 700$ in arrears through child support services in NY. We have just began visitations and he has informed that he does not believe he should have to pay support for a child he hasn't even seen, I tried to persuade him with the knowledge that neither one has to do with the other. I am now concerned that at our next scheduled hearing on the 23rd of November he will be arrested and set us back months on visitations. I don't want to see this happen, and I wish thier was some way to persuade him to pay his dues as he agreed to 50$ a week at our last hearing. Child support services has yet to take any action, however he does not work on the books, has one other child, his license is already suspended, and he has not filed taxes in years. What should I do?
If he's only $700 in arrears, it's not that likely that he will be arrested and thrown in jail. Far more likely that even if he did get arrested, he'd have the opportunity to pay the $700 and walk away.

Ultimately, though, it's his responsibility. Let CSE do their job and you just worry about taking care of the child, not your ex.

LdiJ

There honestly isn't anything that you CAN do. If he is so foolish as to not file taxes, and to lose his license over not paying child support, nothing you could do is going to change him. He has to deal with the consequences of his actions.

BL

Actually in NY ,willful Denial of visitations can lead to suspension of CS during
the denial period , or outright termination , or some form of relief during the denial period.

You do not post the history , just that he's in arrears.

Having said that , he would need to have a prior visitation order and prove his attempts at visits and being denied enough of those visits for any CS relief .

CS enforcement can only do so much . It sounds like they have taken what action they can up to this point.

LdiJ

Actually in NY ,willful Denial of visitations can lead to suspension of CS during
the denial period , or outright termination , or some form of relief during the denial period.

You do not post the history , just that he's in arrears.

Having said that , he would need to have a prior visitation order and prove his attempts at visits and being denied enough of those visits for any CS relief .

CS enforcement can only do so much . It sounds like they have taken what action they can up to this point.
I think that you misunderstood her. She clearly doesn't want visitation to stop and is concerned that if he gets arrested for non-payment of support that it will derail visitation.

BL

I think that you misunderstood her. She clearly doesn't want visitation to stop and is concerned that if he gets arrested for non-payment of support that it will derail visitation.
I did read that and also that Dad doesn't think he should owe CS arrears because he had no prior visits .

I just set the record straight that in NY one can have something to do with the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">