• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flooddaren

New to this sorry.

I had a DNA test ordered back in 2008 and I wasn't able to pay for it. And as of 9/8/2015 the DNA test was taken. I wanted to know, since the child was in question back in 2008 can I get reimbursement for the child support I paid over these 8 years?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I had a DNA test ordered back in 2008 and I wasn't able to pay for it. And as of 9/8/2015 the DNA test was taken. I wanted to know, since the child was in question back in 2008 can I get reimbursement for the child support I paid over these 8 years?
No, just no.

There is also an excellent chance that you will be ordered to continue to pay support since you are well past the legal window to disestablish paternity.

Proserpina

There is also an excellent chance that you will be ordered to continue to pay support since you are well past the legal window to disestablish paternity.

New (ish) legislation does allow for the unwed legal father to at least petition the court outside of the usual time-frame, based on material mistake of fact.

(It also apparently allows a presumed father to challenge his legal paternity even after a divorce)

Now whether the court would do anything about it is a different question entirely. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">