• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrears...Am I really screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atx

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello, my son is now 18. I was told by the Child Support division that this year will be the last year that they can request a tax refund collection for arrears the NCP owes. Is this a state or government law? Or is this something I can get an attorney for?

Collecting the NCP's tax refunds is the only way I can get anything out of him.
* He transferred all bank accounts in his wife's name.
* He sold his home a couple of months ago, but I was unable to collect anything because it was a homestead.
* He quit his job so his wages could no longer be garnished and now he has a new job where he gets paid cash under the table.

Am I truly screwed out of thousands of dollars in arrears? I cannot believe that there is absolutley nothing else I can do to try and collect.

Thank you

Phnx02

atx said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello, my son is now 18. I was told by the Child Support division that this year will be the last year that they can request a tax refund collection for arrears the NCP owes. Is this a state or government law? Or is this something I can get an attorney for?

Collecting the NCP's tax refunds is the only way I can get anything out of him.
* He transferred all bank accounts in his wife's name.
* He sold his home a couple of months ago, but I was unable to collect anything because it was a homestead.
* He quit his job so his wages could no longer be garnished and now he has a new job where he gets paid cash under the table.

Am I truly screwed out of thousands of dollars in arrears? I cannot believe that there is absolutley nothing else I can do to try and collect.

Thank you
Because this year is the year your son reaches age of emancipation in Texas, they are telling you that THEY have no further legal recourse or obligation to collect on your behalf. However, YOU can continue collection efforts on your own by filing for a judgement against the original order. This is a debt owed you, and just because the ex has managed to get out of paying before the child reached 18, doesn't mean he's forgiven of this debt. He is responsible for it until it's paid in full.

You need to file for this judgement asap....all states have a statute of limitations for filing such.....anywhere between 2-10 years from either the date of the original order (defaulted on) or the date of emancipation. Check your state law for the SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">