• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Arrears Compromise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmhall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Does Georgia participate in the COAP (Child Support Arrears Program)? If so how can I find out information about it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Short answer: Google to find your answer (like I did):rolleyes: : Georgia +COAP

I didn't see anything about Georgia.

CourtClerk

As COAP is something I'm familiar with in CA, I always ask this question when asked...

What did GA CSE say when you called and asked them???

Two things:
1.Don't trust CSE as your sole answer on the matter, you need to do your own research. The goal of CSE is to collect as much as possible, the state often turns profit on child support enforcement through matching federal money and they aren't thrilled to give out information on arrearage forgiveness programs, or compromise deals.
2.If your in a high arrears situation, if possible you might want to consult with the CP and try to work out a deal. At this time most arrearage forgiveness/compromise programs only deal with people that owe money to the state for welfare benefits repayment. If your case doesn't fall into that you might not have access to such a program anyway. I like to think most people are reasonable and generally a realistic and reasonable solution can be worked out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">