• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support arrears and settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

Of course he can. You can file for anything.

The question is whether he can actually have the arrears forgiven. That's a far more difficult thing.
Yep, the ability to file does not equal the ability to win the suit that you have filed.

divona2000

...my ex girlfriend was living with me for 4 years and was collecting child support from the state and having the checks sent to her moms house...
a man who has all the right intentions and forced to make the child support payments for the 4 years the children lived with him is just unfair...
Yes, but you (Mr. Federal Employee) knew that exgf was committing fraud.

...I missed 6 month of payments...from being wounded in Iraq and going through therapy for 4 months...
I am a combat veteran and now a federal employee
...a father can file for a COAP. and reduce or even remove child support arrears from the state or from the CP....
"Compromises for Military Personnel-California Family Code section 17560 was amended on August 30, 2005 to increase the potential compromise of arrears for NCPs who have been, or are currently, reservists...
Compromises for Military Personnel

Key word? Potential. Maybe. If you qualify.

monk36

Yes Mistoffolees That is true..

What I would rather do is sign a legal agreement with the CP like I did with my ex-wife, set up a bank account and send money by direct deposit. at least for the arrears. and keep the regular support with child support services..

I know it seems like im asking alot to have it out of CS's hands but its not. If you think about it, an NCP could gain control of thier credit get rid of the threats like bank levy and having everything taken away from them..

Yes taking everything away could help pay the arrears off but at what cost to the NCP and the children.. It could just make everything worse. A NCP could loose his or her job over something like that. Depression and possible suicide could be an outcome. I mean is this realy the best thing for the kids?

Im not saying that a legal agreement should be for every NCP. But if you have a good track record of paying on time it should be an option and the CP could be more forgiving in that respect..

Yes I knew my ex commited welfare fraud but like I said, I couldnt prove it because everything was in my name.. I even tried using the medical bills she had racked up as proof. But a mailing address doesnt prove without a doubt that she lived with me..

great news, I just talked to my childrens mom this morning and she has agreed to forgive the arrears and to just continue paying the regular support..

Thanks

monk36

Oh and Child Support Services says "if the balance is owed to the CP all of it can be removed.."

Thanks again..

mistoffolees

Yes Mistoffolees That is true..

What I would rather do is sign a legal agreement with the CP like I did with my ex-wife, set up a bank account and send money by direct deposit. at least for the arrears. and keep the regular support with child support services..

I know it seems like im asking alot to have it out of CS's hands but its not. If you think about it, an NCP could gain control of thier credit get rid of the threats like bank levy and having everything taken away from them..

Yes taking everything away could help pay the arrears off but at what cost to the NCP and the children.. It could just make everything worse. A NCP could loose his or her job over something like that. Depression and possible suicide could be an outcome. I mean is this realy the best thing for the kids?

Im not saying that a legal agreement should be for every NCP. But if you have a good track record of paying on time it should be an option and the CP could be more forgiving in that respect..
I call BS. If you really intended to pay the arrears, it doesn't matter if CPS or your ex collects it. The ONLY legitimate reason for taking it out of the hands of CPS is to try to avoid paying.

Your credit rating arguments don't make any sense. If you pay what you owe, there wouldn't be any threats.

Yes I knew my ex commited welfare fraud but like I said, I couldnt prove it because everything was in my name.. I even tried using the medical bills she had racked up as proof. But a mailing address doesnt prove without a doubt that she lived with me..
It doesn't? Since when? (unless it's a P.O. box which doesn't prove anything, of course).

great news, I just talked to my childrens mom this morning and she has agreed to forgive the arrears and to just continue paying the regular support..

Thanks
She's kinder than I would be. If you have even a shred of integrity, you'd find a way to pay the arrears, anyway. Of course, you've already demonstrated that you're suffering from chronic integrity-deficiency.

Oh and Child Support Services says "if the balance is owed to the CP all of it can be removed.."

Thanks again..
If the $ is owed to mom, she can ask that DCSS cease their enforcement and close the case, but, that's not the same as eliminating the arrears and your liability for those arrears. Like I said, there is a strong argument that even non-welfare arrears cannot be waived. So, even if you think you have an agreement with her, even if in writing, you're never really protected that she won't come back after you in future.

Last edited:

monk36

Do you have a job?

Or do you sit back and collect welfare and childsupport so you dont have to work?

stick it the NCP right.. have a kid you wont have to work anymore right,, I know your kind... my sister is one of them.. never worked but one year of her life.. and collected child support for 18 years.. now she strugling cause support ran out.. she going for disability now... yeah I know your kind...

thats the only way you could possibly answer so many posts on this site.. and to me it looks like there are alot of you... senior member.. BS

give some real advice to people who truly need it.. thats what this site is for.. not to question every man that posts on what his question is..

get a life

Silverplum

Y'know, monk, you ought to spend a bunch of time READING other posts related to your state instead of typing.

When you type, you make yourself look silly.

When you read, you might learn something and at least you don't look silly.

;)

Do you have a job?

Or do you sit back and collect welfare and childsupport so you dont have to work?

stick it the NCP right.. have a kid you wont have to work anymore right,, I know your kind... my sister is one of them.. never worked but one year of her life.. and collected child support for 18 years.. now she strugling cause support ran out.. she going for disability now... yeah I know your kind...

thats the only way you could possibly answer so many posts on this site.. and to me it looks like there are alot of you... senior member.. BS

give some real advice to people who truly need it.. thats what this site is for.. not to question every man that posts on what his question is..

get a life

I'll wager that many of these women do, in fact, collect CS. I'll also wager that most of them DO have jobs. Just basic background.

Just how freaking easy do you think it is to raise a child by yourself? How easy it is to do so on one income?

Um ... since you're only taking care of yourself, I don't think you can possibly relate to being the sole caretaker of another human being.

You've quite adequately proven that you're only capable of taking care of yourself.

Do you have a job?
Nope. Not anymore. And I don't need to. :)

However, since the topic at hand is YOUR arrears and how you can get out of this mess, I do have some advice:

One job not enough to pay the arrears? Get a second job. Still not enough? Get a third. FYI, real men pay their debts. ESPECIALLY when it comes to their kids.

Or am I the odd exception in being married to a man who would work nights sweeping floors and cleaning toilets (despite his MANY degrees, he wouldn't see it as being beneath him) if that's what it took to pay his bills and take care of his kids?

In looking at your case, I guess I am. o_O

Do you have a job?

get a life
Not exactly sure who you were replying to, but, if me, please understand that I have NO agenda. I was just stating a legal principal.

Not exactly sure who you were replying to, but, if me, please understand that I have NO agenda. I was just stating a legal principal.
I believe that he's "responding" to those on this thread that believe he should pay his arrears. As well as those who believe that the argument concerning his ex committing fraud and how it should defray his arrears is silly and not legally based.

monk36

I'll wager that many of these women do, in fact, collect CS. I'll also wager that most of them DO have jobs. Just basic background.

Just how freaking easy do you think it is to raise a child by yourself? How easy it is to do so on one income?

Um ... since you're only taking care of yourself, I don't think you can possibly relate to being the sole caretaker of another human being.

You've quite adequately proven that you're only capable of taking care of yourself.
OMG you are so wrong, 2 of my boys live with me out of 5 children (3 with ex wife and 2 with ex-girlfriend). One is not biologicaly mine but i claim him as my own because all she dates is loosers and he needs a role model. I give my ex-support for the one she takes care of witch is the little one .. (mother cheated on me when I was deployed:dispicable).. and you dont see me bi#@ing that shes not paying me.. I know she cant.. and I dont need it.. or want it..
.. and I dont find it hard to take care of my children. its not hard. maybe if your weak.. then you shouldnt even have the kids if its that hard for you... and why are most mothers still alone? Its the same reason they left their husband or boyfriend no man will ever be good enough. just like my last to ex's. they still alone 10 15 years later.. and dont claim its the children keeping you from having a man.. send them to thier father unless hes a looser.. and your opinion on loosers may be didfferent then mine.. you may say it just because he didnt fluff your pillows or forgot to bring milk home.. yeah I know your kind..

you think because im a NCP for 3 of my children I dont relate.. I do, its just im tired of the CP claiming poverty when its there own falt.. I got a job I work I take care of my kids.. and I send support.. My BI#@!ing if for CS ability to use the arrears that belongs to the Mother and child to threaten fathers who ARE paying by levy of accounts, loss of license, warrents for arrest and so on..

Think before you speak... get some facts.. quit claiming poverty and the "im all alone with kids".. its BS... those are choices the parents made.. I made choices and I chose to ask the mother to remove the arrears to release my credit.. not to not pay.. thats just stupid.. who ever said that is stupid.. everyone who reads the BS senior members are spilling is now dumber for reading there posts..

the only reason you have gotten over on the CS system is because the men who nocked you up were loosers.. so dont go lableing all men as loosers when its not true... there are plenty of women loosers to.. whats the saying I am women hear me roar.. LOL.. well Roar on.. but when you look back on your life and your and old shrivled up lady who hasnt done anything with her life but sit back and scream poverty and Im alone dont blame anyone but yourself..

If you want to do something then go out and do it. but dont blame a man for leaving you with the kids (Its your dicision that you have them right..) or for your lack of self esteam.

go to college, get a job. and Just basic background? WTH.. you gota be kidding. look at the posts all the posts... they are at home posting BS. and dame right they collecting CS.. cause they deserve it right.. NO,,, the children do.. But the women will take the support n buy there smokes n boozes and take BF's out to dinner with the money.. I know Ive seen it done.. why not get a good job so you dont need the money from a man.. wow thats what men do when they have custody... oh well.

Im tired of typing its usless trying to open eyes of people who just want to sit back and collect support and give out BS advice to people who may realy have an honest question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">