• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support/back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nurse2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TN
In my final divorce decree I was awarded a little over $6000 in back child support and medical/dental out of pocket expense reimbursement. In December he stopped paying all together, current and back support, in June he began paying about 45% of the current support order.

Child support services handle collection for me and have tried to serve him for contempt. However, he gave them an old address on the initial application and they were unable to serve him.

My question is, even though I do not (as of yet) have the new back support in a court order, will these amounts be added, or are they simply kept on record for use when we find a valid address for him?

And, since he has started at least trying to pay some support will child support services proceed with the contempt?

Thanks!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The arrearages will continue to accrue, and when it reaches CSEA's triggers they will start with real enforcement (suspending licenses including driving and hunting. and continuing from there).

CSO286

The arrearages will continue to accrue, and when it reaches CSEA's triggers they will start with real enforcement (suspending licenses including driving and hunting. and continuing from there).
And things like driver's license suspension happen at relatively low thresholds.....But in my state--and I do NOT know other states' guidlelines for this, so you may want to call your local CSED worker--we cannot tell tell the CP if we've implemented that particular enforcement remedy.

Last edited:

nurse2001

All I have left to find is a numerical for the address, I've found the street just today..and he is currently receiving unemployment which is intercepted thru the state..I appreciate the advice though!!

nurse2001

Insurance question

Our court order also states that my children's father is to maintain medical insurance on the children. Our son has asthma and needed to see his pediatrician this week for new prescriptions and a change in medications due to more frequent attacks. I found out at his office visit that the children's medical insurance had been dropped...in May! I attempted to get the children added to my insurance due to the loss in coverage, which I was told I could not do until open enrollment because it had been longer than 30 days since their coverage stopped.

I had asked the dad in late May if there had been any changes in the children's insurance, and he said no. This was after the date listed as the end of coverage date.

Is their anything I can do to get them covered? Our order also states that we split any non-covered medical expenses, however, I never see a penny after I give him copies of the physician and pharmacy bills. I also have to provide medication for his weekend visitations because he will not pay to get the medications our son needs daily to keep at his home.

Also, what documentation should I keep to present to a judge to prove expenses and to show I did provide him copies of the charges?

mistoffolees

Our court order also states that my children's father is to maintain medical insurance on the children. Our son has asthma and needed to see his pediatrician this week for new prescriptions and a change in medications due to more frequent attacks. I found out at his office visit that the children's medical insurance had been dropped...in May! I attempted to get the children added to my insurance due to the loss in coverage, which I was told I could not do until open enrollment because it had been longer than 30 days since their coverage stopped.

I had asked the dad in late May if there had been any changes in the children's insurance, and he said no. This was after the date listed as the end of coverage date.

Is their anything I can do to get them covered? Our order also states that we split any non-covered medical expenses, however, I never see a penny after I give him copies of the physician and pharmacy bills. I also have to provide medication for his weekend visitations because he will not pay to get the medications our son needs daily to keep at his home.

Also, what documentation should I keep to present to a judge to prove expenses and to show I did provide him copies of the charges?
First, you file for contempt against Dad for dropping the insurance.

Then you provide the court with copies of all the bills you submitted to Dad.

Finally, ask the court to order Dad to pay the full amount that WOULD HAVE been covered by insurance if he hadn't dropped it plus 1/2 of the deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">