• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Bail Question in Mass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justwanttoknow6

I have a child support case in Massachusetts. The father of my child was bailed out of jail for a criminal case and just got sentenced and is now serving time. Since he owes over $20,000 in child support does the bail money get sent to my child? I heard they sold his personal property to get the bail money so it's not like someone used their own money to post bail in the first place. I was really hoping to get something seeing as it's been years since I got any financial assistance from him and I will never get anything again as he's sitting in jail for many years now.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

happybug

I have a child support case in Massachusetts. The father of my child was bailed out of jail for a criminal case and just got sentenced and is now serving time. Since he owes over $20,000 in child support does the bail money get sent to my child? I heard they sold his personal property to get the bail money so it's not like someone used their own money to post bail in the first place. I was really hoping to get something seeing as it's been years since I got any financial assistance from him and I will never get anything again as he's sitting in jail for many years now.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did they sell enough items for a cash bond? I am going to bet a bail bondsman was used. If that is the case, there is no bail returned.

justwanttoknow6

Did they sell enough items for a cash bond? I am going to bet a bail bondsman was used. If that is the case, there is no bail returned.
Massachusetts is a no-bail state, meaning the state does not permit private bail agents to deal in bail bonds. They did sell enough of his stuff to get the $. I can't find anything online about how Mass handles bail, it's frustrating. I tried calling the court and they won't tell me anything.

CourtClerk

Your child wouldn't get the money even if he paid child support. That money belongs to you, not your child.

However, you may want to call CSE on Monday and see what they can tell you.

Proserpina

Massachusetts is a no-bail state, meaning the state does not permit private bail agents to deal in bail bonds. They did sell enough of his stuff to get the $. I can't find anything online about how Mass handles bail, it's frustrating. I tried calling the court and they won't tell me anything.

You just copied and pasted that from a Google search, didn't you? :cool:

But that aside, the short answer is "no".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">