• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support bank levy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpht in Texas

What is the name of your state? California
I reside in Texas and have a court order for child support in los angeles, ca. NCP is a job hopper and its very hard to get the wage garnishments to stick for more than 1 pymt. As of June 6, the Texas Attorney General states they have 2 pymts from him that are 'on hold'. Its all very secretive and the ladies at the Special Collection Dept wont even discuss it with me. Im guessing that it was a bank levy... my question is, How long is this hold going to be for??
My search of the internet led me to read something about the ncp would have been given time to get to the judge to quash the order, but how much time? This money, which is a small portion of what the dead-beat owes, is just sitting here in someone elses account while my child needs new uniforms for school. Any ideas out there?
PS Im guessing bank levy because the oag ladies here in Tx are sooo skeptible about talking about it. They keep repeating that it was non-voluntaringly paid. Myself, I see wage garnishment as 'non-voluntary payment', but they do not. They assured me that it was not from wage garnishment. He also does not own property, but maybe a vehicle. Last I was told by Texas was that he was evading Ca trying to serve him court papers and they couldnt 'make' him take the papers. Anyway, something happened...Im just trying to figure out how long this hold will take.

penelope10

What is the name of your state? California
I reside in Texas and have a court order for child support in los angeles, ca. NCP is a job hopper and its very hard to get the wage garnishments to stick for more than 1 pymt. As of June 6, the Texas Attorney General states they have 2 pymts from him that are 'on hold'. Its all very secretive and the ladies at the Special Collection Dept wont even discuss it with me. Im guessing that it was a bank levy... my question is, How long is this hold going to be for??
My search of the internet led me to read something about the ncp would have been given time to get to the judge to quash the order, but how much time? This money, which is a small portion of what the dead-beat owes, is just sitting here in someone elses account while my child needs new uniforms for school. Any ideas out there?
PS Im guessing bank levy because the oag ladies here in Tx are sooo skeptible about talking about it. They keep repeating that it was non-voluntaringly paid. Myself, I see wage garnishment as 'non-voluntary payment', but they do not. They assured me that it was not from wage garnishment. He also does not own property, but maybe a vehicle. Last I was told by Texas was that he was evading Ca trying to serve him court papers and they couldnt 'make' him take the papers. Anyway, something happened...Im just trying to figure out how long this hold will take.
What were you told at the OAG office as to how long the hold would take? Without knowing the reason for the hold, it's pretty impossible to give a guess as to how long it will take for you to get the funds.

Last edited:

cpht in Texas

The OAG office gave the total run-around from the very beginning. They said 2-3 days, then 10 days. When I asked to talk to someone who might know exactly which answer is correct, I was told to call the Special Collection Dept. THAT # transferred me right back to where I started and I demanded to know what was going on with these pymts. THATS when I was told it was dissallowed for me to know where the oney came from, but that it was forced. Again, I see wage garnishment as being such, but they said no. I asked if it could be an IRS refund (even though it has change on the end- not an exact amt) and they said no. I said I was aware of the bank levy situation very little but that he had a chance to fight it in court, but how long did he have? She repeated "The money is on hold". At one point I was thinking they were being so weird about it that maybe someone was trying to garnish it away from ME. She laughed and said, no. FINALLY, she said just to get me off the phone that it could be held for up to 20 days. I dont know if she was buying her office 20 days without another phone call from me, or if 20 days was a hint to me. ANy ideas? And, thank you for your response.
C

penelope10

The OAG office gave the total run-around from the very beginning. They said 2-3 days, then 10 days. When I asked to talk to someone who might know exactly which answer is correct, I was told to call the Special Collection Dept. THAT # transferred me right back to where I started and I demanded to know what was going on with these pymts. THATS when I was told it was dissallowed for me to know where the oney came from, but that it was forced. Again, I see wage garnishment as being such, but they said no. I asked if it could be an IRS refund (even though it has change on the end- not an exact amt) and they said no. I said I was aware of the bank levy situation very little but that he had a chance to fight it in court, but how long did he have? She repeated "The money is on hold". At one point I was thinking they were being so weird about it that maybe someone was trying to garnish it away from ME. She laughed and said, no. FINALLY, she said just to get me off the phone that it could be held for up to 20 days. I dont know if she was buying her office 20 days without another phone call from me, or if 20 days was a hint to me. ANy ideas? And, thank you for your response.
C
Ah, governmental agencies. Gotta love um....The only thing I can think of is call back and sweet talk somebody into getting someone on the phone that MIGHT REALLY KNOW how long this might take.

Maybe someone else will come along with a better suggest than I. Sorry.

cpht in Texas

Ah, governmental agencies. Gotta love um....The only thing I can think of is call back and sweet talk somebody into getting someone on the phone that MIGHT REALLY KNOW how long this might take.

Maybe someone else will come along with a better suggest than I. Sorry.
Thanks :eek: Its ridiculous...theyre making it sound classified! The funniest part... they didnt even have to tell me the money was there...I only called to get an update on my case!
Im almost positive that it isnt IRS monies of any sort because it has change on the end of it. I havent filed taxes in Ca for many years now, but I think that the stae taxes are also rounded to the nearest dollar.
Anyway, thanks again for the response! I'm going to keep checking back to see if any others pop up.
Best,
C

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">