• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Bank Levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently my bank was put on a levy due to back child support. It'd not that I wasn't paying child support, it's because while my court date was continued twice, I was obligated to pay support from the date the case was filed, which to me is a crock, but we won' go there. Anyway, before the first letter was sent out about possible bank levy for back support, bam, there it was, frozen bank account. Before even knowing I had a levy, bills were paid via check, etc..Now that the levy is in place, those checks have bounced and the NSF fees are piling up while I fight this levy. In the process, I've told the CSS about what's out there and they still are taking their sweet ass time dealing with the paperwork. All in all, who is responsible for the NSF fees, the unknowing person (myself) or the unwilling people who are taking their time reviewing my case (CSS)?

CourtClerk

That would be you. A bank levy is a legal way to recover child support arrearages. Often times when they issue a levy, this will happen. There's no sense in levying a bank account with no money in it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That absolutely gave me no info at all...
If you can read and comprehend it did give you info> YOU are responsible for the NSF fees. You are responsible for making sure your child support was paid. YOU are responsible for having put money away to support your children since you should have known a CS order was coming.

RJV

To also add, when the child support order was finalized, I was given the amount I had to pay monthly, along with an additional payment to start paying off this back support..They still put a levy on the account, even though I was paying on the back support...Seems like anything to squeeze money out of the non-custodial to where welfare has to come into play or your put out on the streets in a cardboard box.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Recently my bank was put on a levy due to back child support. It'd not that I wasn't paying child support, it's because while my court date was continued twice, I was obligated to pay support from the date the case was filed, which to me is a crock, but we won' go there. Anyway, before the first letter was sent out about possible bank levy for back support, bam, there it was, frozen bank account. Before even knowing I had a levy, bills were paid via check, etc..Now that the levy is in place, those checks have bounced and the NSF fees are piling up while I fight this levy. In the process, I've told the CSS about what's out there and they still are taking their sweet ass time dealing with the paperwork. All in all, who is responsible for the NSF fees, the unknowing person (myself) or the unwilling people who are taking their time reviewing my case (CSS)?
Maybe a better question to ask would be "Who is the victim when CS is not paid?"

Poor kid...

CourtClerk

To also add, when the child support order was finalized, I was given the amount I had to pay monthly, along with an additional payment to start paying off this back support..They still put a levy on the account, even though I was paying on the back support...Seems like anything to squeeze money out of the non-custodial to where welfare has to come into play or your put out on the streets in a cardboard box.
Yes, even though they give you a set amount to pay on the arrearages, they are still able to collect it in a lump sum if they are able to. Think.... IRS intercept.

RJV

The child support is being paid, so let's get it straight now. The only reason why there is back pay is from the court dates being continued twice...But that's something you are purposely over-reading.

RJV

Then why set up a monthly payment like I did to help pay off the backpay if they are going to levy the account regardless?

Silverplum

The child support is being paid, so let's get it straight now. The only reason why there is back pay is from the court dates being continued twice...But that's something you are purposely over-reading.
No, you wrote in your first post that you didn't want to "go there" concerning the back support. Actually, it was "but we won' go there." :rolleyes:

The law allows for support from the date of filing. The sun comes up in the morning. Accept. Move on.

This IS your child's food and clothing and shelter and medical we're discussing here. :rolleyes: Be a little more begrudging, whydon'tcha?

RJV

No, you wrote in your first post that you didn't want to "go there" concerning the back support. Actually, it was "but we won' go there." :rolleyes:

The law allows for support from the date of filing. The sun comes up in the morning. Accept. Move on.

This IS your child's food and clothing and shelter and medical we're discussing here. :rolleyes: Be a little more begrudging, whydon'tcha?
My kids live in a very nice household, mind you. They were nowhere near starving or living on the streets. Heck, my ex makes as much as I do and maybe even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">