• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Bank Levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChayilGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am the custodial parent of a child that is not receiving child support. Her father just called me and advised me that they have placed a lien on all of his banking accounts. I have called the TX OAG, but they said they cannot give me any information on this levy. I just want to know how long will this levy be held until the funds are released? Also, what can he do to stop this levy? I have NO sympathy for him, but the OAG has the habit of holding funds that could greatly benefit my daughter. A tax intercept can be held btw 4-6 months, but typically how long can a child support levy be held? I am not on any state assistance, so I am supposed to get whatever they collect. Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am the custodial parent of a child that is not receiving child support. Her father just called me and advised me that they have placed a lien on all of his banking accounts. I have called the TX OAG, but they said they cannot give me any information on this levy. I just want to know how long will this levy be held until the funds are released? Also, what can he do to stop this levy? I have NO sympathy for him, but the OAG has the habit of holding funds that could greatly benefit my daughter. A tax intercept can be held btw 4-6 months, but typically how long can a child support levy be held? I am not on any state assistance, so I am supposed to get whatever they collect. Thanks.
The reason why tax returns are often held for 4-6 months is because a spouse would have the right to file an injured spouse form to protect their share of the refunds from seizure...because otherwise the IRS could take the money right back from the AG's office, with the AG maybe having little recourse to get it back from the parent.

The same sort of thing applies to a bank account. The party or parties on the bank account, will have a chance to challenge the seizure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">