• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Bank Levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outspokenchick

My husband has two children who live in Illinois with an astounding back child support order. We live in Iowa. He is garnished 55% at his job. My question is if he is paying through a garnishment, can they still levy a bank account? As another sub-question, can they freeze the account if it is joint and my funds be taken for his debt?

Thanks!!!

Proserpina

My husband has two children who live in Illinois with an astounding back child support order. We live in Iowa. He is garnished 55% at his job. My question is if he is paying through a garnishment, can they still levy a bank account?

Yes they can. This isn't just child support - this is unpaid child support.

As another sub-question, can they freeze the account if it is joint and my funds be taken for his debt?

Thanks!!!

Yes, they can - and then you'd have to prove that the funds were yours, and not his.

You ideally need to keep your finances separate until his child support obligation is paid off.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Absolutely on both questions. I would suggest you put your money in a separate account ASAP.

CSO286

Yes they can. This isn't just child support - this is unpaid child support.

Yes, they can - and then you'd have to prove that the funds were yours, and not his.
You ideally need to keep your finances separate until his child support obligation is paid off.
It's more than this....CSED has every legal right to that money, because the NCP has every legal right to that money.

As long as his name is on the account, he has access to the funds. If he has legal access to the funds, so does CSED, and it doens't matter where the came from (as long as it wasn't traceable back to a needs based PA program, SSI, a minor child's earnings or other exempt source), they can and will levy those funds to pay his child support obligation.

If you marry/life with/hook up with somone with unpaid child support--KEEP YOUR MONEY SEPARATE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">