• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support based on household income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gettingmarrieds

What is the name of your state? TX

I am getting married soon. My fiance is currently paying child support. I want to know once we are married, can his EX request an evaluation/increase in child support based on our "new" hosehold income?

Neal1421

gettingmarrieds said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I am getting married soon. My fiance is currently paying child support. I want to know once we are married, can his EX request an evaluation/increase in child support based on our "new" hosehold income?
No, you are not financially responsible for the child so you income will not be included.

I'd like to throw in my two cents by saying that if your husband owes arrears (or in the future falls behind and begins accruing arrears), his ex may be able to come after any joint assets you have to get those arrears paid so it might be wise to keep all of your money and assets separate until his child support obligation as ended.

gettingmarrieds

Great point. Thank you for this advise. He is not in arrears and we would never allow that to happen. He currently provides more than the court required. I was just concerned that with my added income, we could end up with additional legal obligations and issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">