• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support between Two countries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aya100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello, my x-wife and I got married overseas and then she came and lived with me in the U.S. Things did not work out and we went overseas and got divorced. She later decided to go to an American court and file for (another) divorce. We did a second divorce in the U.S and start paying child support. She then moved back overseas. After three years, she went to the foreign court and seeked benefits which she is entitled to under the foreign divorce. Can I petition the U.S court to stop the child support payments since now she went to the foreign court and seeked their legal system? Thanks.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Hello, my x-wife and I got married overseas and then she came and lived with me in the U.S. Things did not work out and we went overseas and got divorced. She later decided to go to an American court and file for (another) divorce. We did a second divorce in the U.S and start paying child support. She then moved back overseas. After three years, she went to the foreign court and seeked benefits which she is entitled to under the foreign divorce. Can I petition the U.S court to stop the child support payments since now she went to the foreign court and seeked their legal system? Thanks.
I would advise you to seek consultations with local attorneys: international messes are usually beyond the help of a message board.

Attorneys often offer free initial consultations. If you write down all your questions, you can get a lot done in 30 minutes. :)

aya100

Thanks so much for your time. I agree, a short advice from an attorney and he said that this is involving fraud.

aya100

Hello everyone, finally the judge issued an order here in the U.S and vacated the US divorce decree. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">