• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and bonus checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skittles1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa
Just curious to know if anyone knows if a child is entitled to recieve part of their father's bonus check through child support? My ex recieves 2 bonus checks per year and for the past couple years each check was almost $5,000. He also has stocks given to him each year through his company. Last year he recieved $8,000 in stocks. My current child support order does not include any of this. It is only based on his weekly pay because I did not mention the bonuses or stocks. My current child support order is for $140 a week. If anyone knows if my son would be entitled to any of this please let me know. Thanks

LdiJ

Just curious to know if anyone knows if a child is entitled to recieve part of their father's bonus check through child support? My ex recieves 2 bonus checks per year and for the past couple years each check was almost $5,000. He also has stocks given to him each year through his company. Last year he recieved $8,000 in stocks. My current child support order does not include any of this. It is only based on his weekly pay because I did not mention the bonuses or stocks. My current child support order is for $140 a week. If anyone knows if my son would be entitled to any of this please let me know. Thanks
You could file for a modification and ask that all of his income be included in the child support calculation.

2Mistakes

Why did you not mention the bonuses or stocks?

How long ago was the current order put into place?

momofrose

You can file for a modification of the Child Support order to include the amounts of his nonus's - but the stocks are a nother matter - no one knows from one day to the next what (if anything) they will be worth.

Just remember that when you file for a modification that you must also disclose your financial situation (how much you make).

You might want to make certain you are not opening up a can of worms.

qurice

You can file for a modification of the Child Support order to include the amounts of his nonus's - but the stocks are a nother matter - no one knows from one day to the next what (if anything) they will be worth.
They aren't really worth anything until they are sold, and a gain (or LOSS for that matter) is realized. Maybe the dividends earned can be counted, but companies are cutting dividend payouts too.

Besides, with all that's going on, who knows if OPs ex will still receive any bonuses going forward.

momofrose

My ex received a bonus and when I went for modification it was counted towards his income- if he does not continue to receive it - he can file for a downward.

D

nextwife

You can file for a modification of the Child Support order to include the amounts of his nonus's - but the stocks are another matter - no one knows from one day to the next what (if anything) they will be worth.

Just remember that when you file for a modification that you must also disclose your financial situation (how much you make).

You might want to make certain you are not opening up a can of worms.
What was before may not be again. Many business sectors are facing a new business reality, and it may be unclear whether industries that could afford bonuses in the past will be able to afford them in the future.

What sort of industry sector is he is? I'm hearing from many that they will be happy to still have their jobs, much less a bonus, a year or two from now.

If the bonuses were based on such a factor as market performance or stock value, be aware that the financial fortunes of many businesses have turned, and next years performance CANNOT be judged by past performance.

I truly think people are NOT getting this current situation will affect them, not just banks or mortgage companies, not just Wall Street..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">