• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support calculation where done wrong on divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d&g2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My child support numbers were done in correctly during divorce. My ex's income was done using net, while mine were done using gross. The numbers were way off, almost by $150 a month. What can I do?????

Zephyr

My child support numbers were done in correctly during divorce. My ex's income was done using net, while mine were done using gross. The numbers were way off, almost by $150 a month. What can I do?????
when was the cs amount set?

Gracie3787

How long ago was the order issued?

If it was 10 days or less ago, you can file a motion to correct.

If it was more than 10 days ago, you'll need to file a petition to modify.

d&g2008

how long ago was the order issued?

If it was 10 days or less ago, you can file a motion to correct.

If it was more than 10 days ago, you'll need to file a petition to modify.
3.5 years. Ex is now taking me back to court for more money. Paying $800 a month for one child based on $50,000 a year.

Gracie3787

3.5 years. Ex is now taking me back to court for more money. Paying $800 a month for one child based on $50,000 a year.
It's way too late to do anything about the mistake from that long ago.

All you can do now is to make sure that the calculations are done correctly this time, using both you and your ex's net incomes.

smr36

hope

in massachusetts they take 30% of gross pay for child support. but it is different in every state. you need to prove they took to much for them years and they might adjust accordingly.

haiku

in massachusetts they take 30% of gross pay for child support. but it is different in every state. you need to prove they took to much for them years and they might adjust accordingly.
Thats wrong. You need to stop replying to posts....

Gracie3787

1. The OP is in Florida, NOT MA.

2. After this many years, the court WILL NOT, and CAN NOT "adjust" for any past mistakes.

3. Please do not post unless you have something helpful for the OP's situation and state laws.

josephbelt01

Maybe he can sue them for their negligence / incompetence? I would think there's more that can be done than to accept, "Oops, we screwed up and have been taking waaay too much money from you over the years. Better luck next time".

Maybe he can sue them for their negligence / incompetence? I would think there's more that can be done than to accept, "Oops, we screwed up and have been taking waaay too much money from you over the years. Better luck next time".
Sue who? Himself for not reading the papers he signed 3 1/2 years ago?

Gracie3787

The OP didn't say whether the CSE agency was involved, but even if they were, there is no one that can be sued for that type of mistake.

That's why it is SO important to make sure everything is correct at the time of a hearing, because the laws do not allow for corrections more than 10 days later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">