• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariaguad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I am on an H1b visa and between jobs. I live in California. My daughter is a US resident and so is her father. My daughter is 17 years old and lives with me since she goes to public school in my school district. She visits her father once in a while but not regularly. I was overseas until April 2014 and we are Canadian citizens, so her father managed to convince the Ontario courts that he did not have to pay child support. Now since April 2014 I live in California and make less than her father. My older son, who's 21 lives with the father. Am I entitled to child support for my daughter? If so how do I go about claiming the same, and can I claim backdated from April 2014? Also I was unemployed from April-Oct 2014. Thank you

Silverplum

I am on an H1b visa and between jobs. I live in California. My daughter is a US resident and so is her father. My daughter is 17 years old and lives with me since she goes to public school in my school district. She visits her father once in a while but not regularly. I was overseas until April 2014 and we are Canadian citizens, so her father managed to convince the Ontario courts that he did not have to pay child support. Now since April 2014 I live in California and make less than her father. My older son, who's 21 lives with the father. Am I entitled to child support for my daughter? If so how do I go about claiming the same, and can I claim backdated from April 2014? Also I was unemployed from April-Oct 2014. Thank you
I don't think you can or should use the US courts for obtaining child support: you already have a case established in Ontario and are Canadians.

But on the off chance that you can file here, or to ask questions or to start a case: http://www.childsup.ca.gov/

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do the courts in Ontario, Canada have to do with this?

single317dad

I don't think you'll get reciprocal support, even if you're able to convince a California court that jurisdiction in CA is proper. Likelihood is that the child will age out before any order is made.

LdiJ

I don't think you'll get reciprocal support, even if you're able to convince a California court that jurisdiction in CA is proper. Likelihood is that the child will age out before any order is made.
Not necessarily, child support can go to 19 if the child has not graduated from high school. If she is a 17 year old junior, its a bit different than if she is a 17 year old senior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">