• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support case against wrong person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FierceGerbil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.
I received a letter from child support division stating there was a case against me in Albany, GA which I do not live nor know anyone there. I called and it was revealed that the person has the same name as me but a different SSN. I was told to disregard letter and should not get anything else from them. Fast forward about 6 months and I get another letter stating I'm $61K behind and they are going to intercept my tax refunds. I called again and was told they would forward the information to correct. I then called back after some thought. I wanted to ask for a letter of apology and explanation. I was then told I have to prove my identity and address to attempt to get error corrected.
This is ridiculous. I have to jump through hoops to correct THEIR mistake. It has caused stress in my marriage. What legal recourse do I have? I'm looking over my shoulder now wondering if the police will decide to come arrest me because someone else owes back child support.
Sorry this is long winded. I'm really worried about this. Thanks

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I received a letter from child support division stating there was a case against me in Albany, GA which I do not live nor know anyone there. I called and it was revealed that the person has the same name as me but a different SSN. I was told to disregard letter and should not get anything else from them. Fast forward about 6 months and I get another letter stating I'm $61K behind and they are going to intercept my tax refunds. I called again and was told they would forward the information to correct. I then called back after some thought. I wanted to ask for a letter of apology and explanation. I was then told I have to prove my identity and address to attempt to get error corrected.
This is ridiculous. I have to jump through hoops to correct THEIR mistake. It has caused stress in my marriage. What legal recourse do I have? I'm looking over my shoulder now wondering if the police will decide to come arrest me because someone else owes back child support.
Who told you to ignore the letter? I'd suggest hiring an attorney to help you with this. And don't hold your breath on an apology/explanation, because they've already told you that the person has the same name, different SSN. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask them how you can get the error corrected. No, you shouldn't have to correct their error...but life's full of things we shouldn't have to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So...... why is proving your identity a problem? Anyone could claim not to be the person claimed. Consider it akin to identity theft - you have to do the legwork to solve the problem.

Zigner

It's either do that or pay CS for a child that is not yours. :cool:
I disagree - the social security number doesn't match. They're not going to intercept his tax return and they're not going to get a wage garnishment. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't deal with this, I just don't think he's going to actually end up paying anything the way things stand at this moment. Of course, things could change, and that's why he should deal with it.

LdiJ

I disagree - the social security number doesn't match. They're not going to intercept his tax return and they're not going to get a wage garnishment. That's not to say that the OP shouldn't deal with this, I just don't think he's going to actually end up paying anything the way things stand at this moment. Of course, things could change, and that's why he should deal with it.
I agree with Zig...

I also will add that I am not sure that its even wise to give them proof of your identity. Right now, as Zig said they cannot garnish his wages or intercept his tax refunds because they do not have his SSN. If he GIVES them his SSN to prove that he is not the person in question, something could go wrong and his SSN could get attached to the case.

I think it should be handled by an attorney.

Zigner

I agree with Zig...

I also will add that I am not sure that its even wise to give them proof of your identity. Right now, as Zig said they cannot garnish his wages or intercept his tax refunds because they do not have his SSN. If he GIVES them his SSN to prove that he is not the person in question, something could go wrong and his SSN could get attached to the case.

I think it should be handled by an attorney.
Good point - perhaps the OP could give proof of the last four digits of his social security # instead of the full number...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Good point - perhaps the OP could give proof of the last four digits of his social security # instead of the full number...
I was thinking the same. But, I think he'd be wise to consult an attorney. The worst thing he could do is ignore the situation, IMO.

FierceGerbil

I appreciate all the responses. I'm researching attorneys. I'm not worried about them trying to get my taxes with the SSN being different. My main concerns are possible arrest and diminished trust. I will see an attorney and find out my options on the matter. I am worried about giving the child support division my information. They botched this up. Who's to say giving them personal info will help. It may make matters worse. A lawyer will have the answers though.

FierceGerbil

Of course I've now called 2 family law attorneys who said they can't help nor could recommend another attorney. Frustrated. 😡

Zigner

Ask the CS folks how you would go about showing them they are mailing information to the wrong guy. Don't volunteer information - just gather it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">