• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Case worker not doing anything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiarigirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My story is very long, but I won't go into it all. My son's father is ordered to pay child support. In the beginning when it all first happened, he got away with not paying a year of support. The atty at the meeting told me that he would not sign the order and didn't have to sign it, if I did not agree to have a year dropped. Well that didn't help at all...as he is still behind by a lot (not as much as other people, but to me a lot). Well, in between all of this, I had a protection order against him. He was abusive to me and tried to be toward my son as a baby - and always screaming at him. I had tried to get the police to order him to leave. They said as long as he had mail coming there I could not make him leave (after he had hit me in the head). Thank goodness, he lives cities away now. He has a long list from what I saw on the court websites of domestic violence against women and a minor. (just a little background of my situation)

Anyway, I have been through a few caseworkers, as they were switching them around there a little here and there. Now this latest one for about almost 2 years, has not done much at all. She told me she can't do anything, that she can only look at the case and monitor it. She has been rude to me. I had complained about my support order to the state and I told them it was confidential, that I didn't want it to get back to my caseworker. I asked for a new caseworker. The next thing I know she is contact me and really going off on me. I had to hang up on her. She was so rude. She would not allow me to have an old caseworker or another. I know people have had them changed. She won't do anything for me. If I ask her if she is doing anything or trying to find anything out, she says no she can't. She can only monitor it. Well, she gets paid to do something, not just look at the computer to see if something came in. She is always short and rude with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about asking for a new caseworker without it getting back to her and having her call me and yelling at me. My old caseworker was always on the ball and getting support to come in for me (even though he was still way behind). I miss that caseworker. She worked hard for her cases.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could make another complaint. And/or you could simply wait it out. She will move on...

single317dad

You could hire a private attorney to handle your case. Many will charge you a percentage of the amount recovered on a contingency.

CSO286

My story is very long, but I won't go into it all. My son's father is ordered to pay child support. In the beginning when it all first happened, he got away with not paying a year of support. The atty at the meeting told me that he would not sign the order and didn't have to sign it, if I did not agree to have a year dropped. Well that didn't help at all...as he is still behind by a lot (not as much as other people, but to me a lot). Well, in between all of this, I had a protection order against him. He was abusive to me and tried to be toward my son as a baby - and always screaming at him. I had tried to get the police to order him to leave. They said as long as he had mail coming there I could not make him leave (after he had hit me in the head). Thank goodness, he lives cities away now. He has a long list from what I saw on the court websites of domestic violence against women and a minor. (just a little background of my situation)

Anyway, I have been through a few caseworkers, as they were switching them around there a little here and there. Now this latest one for about almost 2 years, has not done much at all. She told me she can't do anything, that she can only look at the case and monitor it. She has been rude to me. I had complained about my support order to the state and I told them it was confidential, that I didn't want it to get back to my caseworker. I asked for a new caseworker. The next thing I know she is contact me and really going off on me. I had to hang up on her. She was so rude. She would not allow me to have an old caseworker or another. I know people have had them changed. She won't do anything for me. If I ask her if she is doing anything or trying to find anything out, she says no she can't. She can only monitor it. Well, she gets paid to do something, not just look at the computer to see if something came in. She is always short and rude with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about asking for a new caseworker without it getting back to her and having her call me and yelling at me. My old caseworker was always on the ball and getting support to come in for me (even though he was still way behind). I miss that caseworker. She worked hard for her cases.

You can't.

If you call and ask for Ms. Jones' supervisor and have a chat about how you feel that your case isn't getting the attention it deserves to get payments rolling, I can guarantee that once you hang up with the supervisor, her first call will be to Ms. Jones to discuss your case and your desire for a new worker.

It is also highly unlikely that you will be reassigned to a new caseworker.

Silverplum

I have a couple of questions.

What did your old caseworker do to "get support to come in" for you?

What do you expect your current caseworker to do to "get support to come in" for you?

Proserpina

You could hire a private attorney to handle your case. Many will charge you a percentage of the amount recovered on a contingency.

I believe that goes against the ethics of any attorney in any state - from memory, I do believe that an attorney CANNOT take a child support or spousal support case on contingency.

CSO286

I have a couple of questions.

What did your old caseworker do to "get support to come in" for you?

What do you expect your current caseworker to do to "get support to come in" for you?
And "What are you doing to help your current caseworker to get support to come in?"

Because, as a child support caseworker, I can tell you that the cusotdial parent is often the best source of information. They usually find out before I do that the NCP has moved, changed jobs, gotten a new cell phone, etc. Anytime that CP can provide that info to me, it can speed up my processes as far as getting income witholding out to an employer or wading through the contempt process.

Also, if you really are unhappy with the quality of service you are getting, you alway have the right to file your own actions or to hire and attorney or private collections agency to do so for you.

A collection agnecy (think supportkids or supportamerica)will cost anywhere from 15-50% of whatever is collected and some will charge you a significant up-front fee. An attorney? Think significant retainer.

If you're a current public assistance recipient, you're getting child support services for free. If you are a non public assistance applicant, then chances are you are paying somewhere between 0-4% of whatever is collected.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I believe that goes against the ethics of any attorney in any state - from memory, I do believe that an attorney CANNOT take a child support or spousal support case on contingency.
Not in Ohio can they do this. That would be a blatant ethical issue and could get an attorney sanctioned if not worse. Can't take any family law or juvenile court case on contingency.

single317dad

Not in Ohio can they do this. That would be a blatant ethical issue and could get an attorney sanctioned if not worse. Can't take any family law or juvenile court case on contingency.
I apologize if I've given incorrect advice here; that was certainly not my intention. I based that opinion on a few bits of information which may be flawed or old. There have been in the past attorneys here in Indiana that would advertise on TV that they would help you collect BACK child support (no mention of current support or getting new orders in place), and that they would do so for no money down and a percentage of monies recovered as their fee. I probably assumed too much from those commercials.

Silverplum

I apologize if I've given incorrect advice here; that was certainly not my intention. I based that opinion on a few bits of information which may be flawed or old. There have been in the past attorneys here in Indiana that would advertise on TV that they would help you collect BACK child support (no mention of current support or getting new orders in place), and that they would do so for no money down and a percentage of monies recovered as their fee. I probably assumed too much from those commercials.
Yes, you have to look up your legal info before you post. Laws change. State laws vary widely, so non-state-specific info is useless.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think you are getting confused with the private support collection agencies - not law firms.

And, speaking of those agencies, when one utilizes them, it can (usually does) change the nature of the debt in such a way that it can be discharged in bankruptcy. Normally, child support & arrearages cannot be so discharged.

chiarigirl

I don't know what happened to my previous post. I am late in posting a reply due to surgeries. I honestly forgot about his until now because of everything going on. Now on to "What am I doing to help my caseworker"? Well, absolutely nothing! I do not like to talk about this and when a situation arises that I have to, I get sick to my stomach, my heart races, and I have nightmares. However, I will. I do not feel that I should have to contact my ex! I have had 2 restraining orders on this man! He is DANGEROUS! I am scared of him! I did not know when I was with him that he was a dangerous person at first. He beat me, hit me and he also threatened to hit my son who was a baby at the time. Over the years, he has (and I have some on tape) made many many threats! He has been arrested, he has been in jail (this all since I was with him), he has been in trouble for domestic violence against women and children and other people. He has a temper. He has threatened my life. He has threatened to leave state with my son and that I would not see him again. He said I would have to sit there shut up and there would be nothing I could do about him taking him. My last atty who was doing the last restraining order wanted me to do the same thing by trying to find out his information. I had his social and other info, but they wanted me to go find out and/or call and find out what he was driving and his license plate number. Put my life in danger to get a restraining order. I know it is just a piece of paper. I know of people who have had horrid outcomes. This is only a part of it. There is much much more. I do not want to endanger my son or me. I just don't get people who think I should be doing this. I am scared of this man! I am getting nauseated talking about him and my heart is racing. I start shaking.

They have more information than I do. My last caseworker, at least called him and sent him a letter to keep in touch and see how things were going with work, etc. She checked in on him. This one does not do that. She waits for him to call her. I went over a year without it and I will just go another year if I have to. It is much better than people thinking I should go out there and find out info from him. Besides, I seriously doubt he would give me the info anymore than I would give him mine. I gave them all the information I had and I got that from the internet. (mostly his mugshot) and court info that anyone can get online. I guess you feel my son is not entitled to child support if I cannot find out the information and "help the caseworker".

Now this is a minor amount of the info about him and the situation. There is soooo much more. It would take all evening to type though. It just gets worse, much worse. I do not want him to go to jail for non support though. That would only make it worse and he would retaliate. I do not want my son & I and my family to be put in danger. I don't want to anger him. I don't want us to become a statistic.

Last edited:

LdiJ

You know, you and your son would probably be safer if the caseworker does a bad job collecting support. Anyone that angry is just going to get more angry any time that money comes out of their pocket for child support.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you checked into counseling to help you deal with the DV?

I would take a personal protection class. DV women's shelters will most likely know of some that you could take.

What current court orders exist?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">