• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support cessation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IrishFireGuy

I live in Maryland and have been paying child support for 12+ years. My child, who lives with her mother, is about to graduate from High School. My child support is to be paid until she is 18 or out of school which ever is later. When she graduates she is going to come live with me. At that point I would like to cease paying child support. Can someone tell what the correct procedure is for my case? Thanks in advance.

VeronicaGia

IrishFireGuy said:
I live in Maryland and have been paying child support for 12+ years. My child, who lives with her mother, is about to graduate from High School. My child support is to be paid until she is 18 or out of school which ever is later. When she graduates she is going to come live with me. At that point I would like to cease paying child support. Can someone tell what the correct procedure is for my case? Thanks in advance.
Right before she graduates, file to have the support order stopped because she is emancipated by law.

However, if your court order clearly states that support will end when she has turned 18 AND has graduated, you may not HAVE to file, you may simply be able to stop paying. But I suggest you file anyway, to be sure it stops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">