• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mazingf

Tx

I need to know what my chance are of representing myself.

1) what is the statue of limitations for my ex to come back to me for past due medical bill reimbursements. And him listing some that I did reimburse him and yet he is not stating the ones that he has not reimbursed me for.

2) If in Oct we went to mediation and came to an agreement that my support would decrease by $150 month and that it would take place Nov 1st and now 3 months later I am still receiving the same amount. I signed an agreement stating that I would pay any overage within 10 days however, I have not received any documentation from his lawyer or copies sent to his job/child support agency indicating the exact amount that my new support amount would be. And because of his pay periods, the amount is not just cut and dry. Should I legally have received something from his lawyer or my ex?

3)I am now being served to go to court and can't hire an attorney. What are my chances of representing myself? My ex wants to see me thrown in jail because of this and to pay his attorney fees and serve 5 years community service. My son is already 16 years old.

What do I do?

Phnx02

mazingf said:
Tx

I need to know what my chance are of representing myself.

1) what is the statue of limitations for my ex to come back to me for past due medical bill reimbursements. And him listing some that I did reimburse him and yet he is not stating the ones that he has not reimbursed me for.

2) If in Oct we went to mediation and came to an agreement that my support would decrease by $150 month and that it would take place Nov 1st and now 3 months later I am still receiving the same amount. I signed an agreement stating that I would pay any overage within 10 days however, I have not received any documentation from his lawyer or copies sent to his job/child support agency indicating the exact amount that my new support amount would be. And because of his pay periods, the amount is not just cut and dry. Should I legally have received something from his lawyer or my ex?

3)I am now being served to go to court and can't hire an attorney. What are my chances of representing myself? My ex wants to see me thrown in jail because of this and to pay his attorney fees and serve 5 years community service. My son is already 16 years old.

What do I do?
1) Not sure if TX has a SOL on this. From what I know about others in this situation, generally even though the bills weren't sent/recieved/paid in a timely manner as ordered, they are still an outstanding debt/obligation and enforceable until paid in full. Of course, any judge can rule otherwise, but I doubt you'd get thrown in jail over this. More than likely, the judge will reprimand you for not paying on time and order you to pay immediately.

2) Although you haven't recieved copies of the new order from his attorney, you should know what the new amount will be based on the math and you'll probably have to pay this overrage back. More than likely, a date was given for the first ammended payment, and even though his employer didn't garnish accordingly by this date, he is only responsible for the new (lower) amount according to the date on the court order. You can't help it if you were sent more, but rightfully, you're not entitled to keep the overrage. When you go to court, be prepared to cough up this extra money up immediately.

3) Only you can decide if you can handle going to court pro-se. Sounds like your ex is being very bitter and vindictive about it all. Of course, the best thing is to hire an attorney.....but if you can't afford one, you can't afford one. In my opinion, these are trivial matters than can be easily resolved on your own. Go to court and just be prepared to pay what you owe on old unreimbursed medical bills and the CS overrage from the last few months. Don't let your ex intimidate you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">