• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support for child who's dad is in prison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nc2000kimy

What is the name of your state? NC- My daughter's father went to prison 2 and a half years ago. He'll be in for another ten years. I am a college student. I have been paying my own tuition but now living with my parents again. Is there any kind of support I can get from the state or federal government?

Neal1421

nc2000kimy said:
What is the name of your state? NC- My daughter's father went to prison 2 and a half years ago. He'll be in for another ten years. I am a college student. I have been paying my own tuition but now living with my parents again. Is there any kind of support I can get from the state or federal government?
You could get a part-time job, or go to school part-time and work full time.

Your choice.

That bothers me

Just because she has a record doesn't mean that her child isn't entitiled to some sort of support. People make mistakes but people can also change. I would suggest that she go to her local state agancy and see if there is some way that she can get some support from them that in turn gets them to get him to reimburse them. I know some prisons have a work program where they earn so much each day in prison. She may not get much but she should beable to get something. I am sure she did not get pregnant and have a child saying to herself "well maybe he'll go to jail and I will raise this child on my own." It takes two to tango and he should be responsible for his role whether or not he is in jail. I am alos sure that there is some employer out there that will hire her. She just hasn't found that employer yet. In the mean time she will need to beable to support the child. Listen hun, don't give up. You will find a job. Even if apply for a job that you don't really want and you get hired, take it. You can still look to better yourself but at least you will have some income coming in.

Shay-Pari'e

classiemd69 said:
Just because she has a record doesn't mean that her child isn't entitiled to some sort of support. People make mistakes but people can also change. I would suggest that she go to her local state agancy and see if there is some way that she can get some support from them that in turn gets them to get him to reimburse them. I know some prisons have a work program where they earn so much each day in prison. She may not get much but she should beable to get something. I am sure she did not get pregnant and have a child saying to herself "well maybe he'll go to jail and I will raise this child on my own." It takes two to tango and he should be responsible for his role whether or not he is in jail. I am alos sure that there is some employer out there that will hire her. She just hasn't found that employer yet. In the mean time she will need to beable to support the child. Listen hun, don't give up. You will find a job. Even if apply for a job that you don't really want and you get hired, take it. You can still look to better yourself but at least you will have some income coming in.
Umm, She had a job, and she quit it. Now she wants us to support her child.

#1 Today, 10:35 AM
nc2000kimy
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2006

I can't find a job with my record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? NC- I recently quit my full-time job to attend college full-time. It has been impossible for me to find a part-time job. Everywhere I have applied has turned me down because of my criminal history. I don't have any felonies on my record, but I have 4 misdeamenors. Can they legally not hire me just

Shay-Pari'e said:
Umm, She had a job, and she quit it. Now she wants us to support her child.

#1 Today, 10:35 AM
nc2000kimy
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2006

I can't find a job with my record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state? NC- I recently quit my full-time job to attend college full-time. It has been impossible for me to find a part-time job. Everywhere I have applied has turned me down because of my criminal history. I don't have any felonies on my record, but I have 4 misdeamenors. Can they legally not hire me just
I guess the question would be just how recently did she quit her job. She stated she quit it to attend college full time. Maybe she is trying to better herself so she won't need the help of the state. I don't have a problem "paying" for someone who is trying to better themselves instead of these people who are getting pregnant all the time just to continue to get state help. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound to me like she is trying to take advantage of the state like many others do. This girl IS going to college. She has been trying to find work as well. Her other question hasn't been answered to my knowledge, the one where she asked can they not hire her due to her record. I was on the State for a while when I had my youngest child. Not because I wanted to be that's for sure. Not because I had a criminal record either. I knew I needed the help to make sure my child while I was out of work. As soon as I was able to take care of my child on my own I ended state help immediately.It helped me and my child out. No I didn't take advantage of it either. As a matter of fact they were trying to give me more help than I felt I needed so I refused it. I have been off the state for quite some time now (many years). But I am glad they were there for me.

Neal1421

classiemd69 said:
I guess the question would be just how recently did she quit her job. She stated she quit it to attend college full time. Maybe she is trying to better herself so she won't need the help of the state. I don't have a problem "paying" for someone who is trying to better themselves instead of these people who are getting pregnant all the time just to continue to get state help. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound to me like she is trying to take advantage of the state like many others do. This girl IS going to college. She has been trying to find work as well. Her other question hasn't been answered to my knowledge, the one where she asked can they not hire her due to her record. I was on the State for a while when I had my youngest child. Not because I wanted to be that's for sure. Not because I had a criminal record either. I knew I needed the help to make sure my child while I was out of work. As soon as I was able to take care of my child on my own I ended state help immediately.It helped me and my child out. No I didn't take advantage of it either. As a matter of fact they were trying to give me more help than I felt I needed so I refused it. I have been off the state for quite some time now (many years). But I am glad they were there for me.
I have a problem with paying for it when she had a job and then quit to go to school. She knew she had a child to support, if she wanted to better herself she should have gone to school part-time and worked full time. You don't quit your job when you have a child to support and then expect the tax payers to pay for it. That is just WRONG!

Shay-Pari'e

classiemd69 said:
The "STATE" is me, therefore, I think I am entitled to my opinion.

The answer to her question regarding getting hired, is that "SURE" , no one has to hire her if they don't want her. That is rather basic math.

Again the question would be How Recntly did she quit her job? If she quit it to better herself by going to school full time then GOOD FOR HER!!! She is thinking her child. Some people just look at it in different ways. You look at it as her wanting you to pay her way and I look at it as her needing support while she finds a job and gets the education she needs to support her child on her own. Thankfully she has parents that are able to take her back in. But it sounds to me like she doesn't want to live off them forever either. In my opinion she is a very smart person whom knows she needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">