• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support for children who now reside in another country.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyelgen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in PA. I have 2 children who I've only seen twice in 7 years. I pay $1000.00 per month insupport that is garnished through Hawaii Child Support Enforcement. My parental rights are never met by my ex spouse who abandoned her car and fled to Sweden with my children when she was supposed to be camping. Is there anything I can do about this since I now live in another state and they are in another country?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, if your income has increased in the years since the court order was established, there is a possibility if you go to court that your support obligations would *increase".

How long ago did your ex-spouse relocate to Sweden? What did you do to contest the move?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in PA. I have 2 children who I've only seen twice in 7 years. I pay $1000.00 per month insupport that is garnished through Hawaii Child Support Enforcement. My parental rights are never met by my ex spouse who abandoned her car and fled to Sweden with my children when she was supposed to be camping. Is there anything I can do about this since I now live in another state and they are in another country?
If she is not abiding by the court order why haven't you filed for contempt in the court of appropriate jurisdiction? Have you attempted to retrieve your children? When did she "flee" to Sweden?

billyelgen

Response

Actually, if your income has increased in the years since the court order was established, there is a possibility if you go to court that your support obligations would *increase".

How long ago did your ex-spouse relocate to Sweden? What did you do to contest the move?
April 2009. She abandoned her car at the airport and left before I knew anything. I tried to get authorities to help but was told since she had sole physical custody there was nothing that could be done despite me having joint legal custody. I mourned them for years before getting the right mental health help. I never sought help to get them back because I believed the police, plus I didn't have the money it would take to fight nor could I find a lawyer that would take the case pro Bono. I still pay $1000 per month in child support. The amount I pay prohibits me from being able to visit them due to the significant cost. I am in dire need of help and have no clue where to turn.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
April 2009. She abandoned her car at the airport and left before I knew anything. I tried to get authorities to help but was told since she had sole physical custody there was nothing that could be done despite me having joint legal custody. I mourned them for years before getting the right mental health help. I never sought help to get them back because I believed the police, plus I didn't have the money it would take to fight nor could I find a lawyer that would take the case pro Bono. I still pay $1000 per month in child support. The amount I pay prohibits me from being able to visit them due to the significant cost. I am in dire need of help and have no clue where to turn.
What is it you wish to accomplish? They still need to be supported; as was noted earlier, if the figures are still based on what you earned in 2009 and you've actually increased your income since then you may find your payment goes up. You don't get out of paying child support because you don't see the children.

billyelgen

If she is not abiding by the court order why haven't you filed for contempt in the court of appropriate jurisdiction? Have you attempted to retrieve your children? When did she "flee" to Sweden?
Truly, I didn't know until recently that was even an option. I am very ignorant of my options. Furthermore I now live in PA, and have lived in numerous states since that happened and the original order was made in Hawaii.

billyelgen

What is it you wish to accomplish? They still need to be supported; as was noted earlier, if the figures are still based on what you earned in 2009 and you've actually increased your income since then you may find your payment goes up. You don't get out of paying child support because you don't see the children.
I make less now than in 2009, and have other children as well. I want my child support reduced so I would be able to visit them at least once a year. Furthermore I feel she should be held in contempt for not adhering to the original order. Women or Men who are from other countries should not be able to abscond to their home country with children when there is a court order in this country. Examples have to be made. Foreigners are acutely aware how easy it is to get away with this.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I make less now than in 2009, and have other children as well. I want my child support reduced so I would be able to visit them at least once a year. Furthermore I feel she should be held in contempt for not adhering to the original order. Women or Men who are from other countries should not be able to abscond to their home country with children when there is a court order in this country. Examples have to be made. Foreigners are acutely aware how easy it is to get away with this.
You've done nothing in 7 years to fix the situation - there isn't a judge in the world who would hold Mom in contempt because of your lack of action. You also CHOSE to have more children knowing you already had a child support obligation; that's not Mom's fault either.

Your last sentence is repugnant, and I'm relieved that at least some of you poor children don't have to listen to your nauseating claptrap. Oh - and go pay an attorney to tell you what you've been told here for free.

Signed,

A foreigner.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is quite likely that your decreased income, coupled with your moving, might be seen as a voluntary reduction of income. Something to bear in mind. Your new family will not be taken into consideration. By now, you may find that Sweden holds jurusdiction. I'd be speaking with an attorney.

LdiJ

It is quite likely that your decreased income, coupled with your moving, might be seen as a voluntary reduction of income. Something to bear in mind. Your new family will not be taken into consideration. By now, you may find that Sweden holds jurusdiction. I'd be speaking with an attorney.
Under the Hague Convention Sweden would definitely have jurisdiction of custody/visitation matters regarding the children. They have lived there for more than two years.

However, the US would still have jurisdiction for child support purposes as that is where dad resides.

billyelgen

You've done nothing in 7 years to fix the situation - there isn't a judge in the world who would hold Mom in contempt because of your lack of action. You also CHOSE to have more children knowing you already had a child support obligation; that's not Mom's fault either.

Your last sentence is repugnant, and I'm relieved that at least some of you poor children don't have to listen to your nauseating claptrap. Oh - and go pay an attorney to tell you what you've been told here for free.

Signed,

A foreigner.
Real big words behind that keyboard. I'm just looking for assistance not your injection of your obvious ignorance. This isn't a forum for you to voice your opinion on a situation you know nothing about so if you want to cause trouble let me know where you live and I'll bring it to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Real big words behind that keyboard. I'm just looking for assistance not your injection of your obvious ignorance. This isn't a forum for you to voice your opinion on a situation you know nothing about so if you want to cause trouble let me know where you live and I'll bring it to you.
We only know what you tell us, so any "ignorance" is your fault. Carry on with your merry life and go pay an attorney, because you're not going to get any more help here after threatening a respected senior member of the forum.

Just Blue

Well! That answers the question of why your ex fled to another country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">