• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support & College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahoag76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Good Evening, I have a question. My daughter will be 18 in a few years and will be attending college. AS the non-custodial parent, I have no problem helping her with her tuition. My question is, when she turns 18 can I have a modification in child support to where the money either goes directly to my daughter or directly to her tuition for college?OR will my ex continue to receive the child support payments? Thank You

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It really will depend on the court. NJ doesn't have an automatic cut-off age - you would need to petition for any change.

I have one child who is now in college. I ran the numbers and pass along the difference (between what I get for the two of them and what I'd get for just one) to him so he has extra money for books, clothes, food, etc. On top of what I pay that his other parent doesn't due to an artfully placed loophole (which I freely admit I missed. Or rather... never thought in my wildest dreams the other parent would pull... Oh well. Consider that a small rant as I just paid the next installment of his tuition.)

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Good Evening, I have a question. My daughter will be 18 in a few years and will be attending college. AS the non-custodial parent, I have no problem helping her with her tuition. My question is, when she turns 18 can I have a modification in child support to where the money either goes directly to my daughter or directly to her tuition for college?OR will my ex continue to receive the child support payments? Thank You
Child support is sent to the parents, never the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">