• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and College expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZachsMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I was suppose to have a court date last Friday, and the day before was called to tell me the judge will not be having oral argument. This was a motion filed for an increase in child support and to have a percentage of my child's college to be paid. It is over a week now and the law clerk said there was still no decision, meanwhile I'm laying out money every single day for books, supplies, etc. Any idea when the judge should make their decision and send out the order?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was suppose to have a court date last Friday, and the day before was called to tell me the judge will not be having oral argument. This was a motion filed for an increase in child support and to have a percentage of my child's college to be paid. It is over a week now and the law clerk said there was still no decision, meanwhile I'm laying out money every single day for books, supplies, etc. Any idea when the judge should make their decision and send out the order?
Before your child entered college what was the court order regarding college expenses? How old is your child?

mistoffolees

It can easily take weeks (ask your court clerk what the typical time frame is). However, if the court DOES order ex to pay a percentage of college costs, you should be able to get reimbursed for that portion of what you've paid. Save your receipts.

Antigone*

Is Zach helping to pay for his post secondary education?

CSO286

Is Zach helping to pay for his post secondary education?
What?!!?

How dare you??

Zachy-poo is so very very special, that he should not be expected to contribute the costs of his college education. He has soo much on his plate to just study and learn. It's hard enough just being a student and having to get up by himself and go to class and he still needs to have time to have some fun. Don't you think there's time enough for him to learn about the harshness of the real world, once he finishes school? Mummy Deaerst just wants to protect him from the Big Bad Realities of Life. Zachy-poo is still their Ickle Wittle Baby Boy. He's not all growed up.....

:p;):D

Proserpina

This was asked and answered twice elsewhere.

The answer remains the same - we do NOT know what the Judge was thinking, nor do we have access to the Judge's calender.

Doesn't matter how often or how many ways you ask the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">