• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support for college tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aljanten

What is the name of your state? massachusetts
I am paying child support / college tuition/medical/dental for my 21 year old daughter whom i just found out has only been going to college part time for the past 3 years. Would it be worth it for me to try to modify the support because i was told she was going to college in florida full time? The school informs me that she will not graduate for another 3 years at the rate she is going. I also now have another minor child. I have2 minor children. I pay $760.00 per month for support for my daughter. I am the sole support for my wife and my 2 minor children. I was just told that now support has to continue in massachusetts until she is 23 years old. If she is only part time shouldn't my support be lowered? I have to work 2 full time jobs just to pay it and survive myself. This is strictly support. I was never married to the mother.

rmet4nzkx

aljanten said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts
I am paying child support / college tuition/medical/dental for my 21 year old daughter whom i just found out has only been going to college part time for the past 3 years. Would it be worth it for me to try to modify the support because i was told she was going to college in florida full time? The school informs me that she will not graduate for another 3 years at the rate she is going. I also now have another minor child. I have2 minor children. I pay $760.00 per month for support for my daughter. I am the sole support for my wife and my 2 minor children. I was just told that now support has to continue in massachusetts until she is 23 years old. If she is only part time shouldn't my support be lowered? I have to work 2 full time jobs just to pay it and survive myself. This is strictly support. I was never married to the mother.
Does your court order for college support include any language re the childs requirements, such as attending ful time or maintaining a certain grade point average? You may want to file for a modification or contempt depending on the language in your actual order.

aljanten

The order is just worded child support. There is no mention of college tuition. It says "this order of child support may be revisited if there is an order entered after proper pleading are filed as to the parties contribution to their daughter/s education."

BelizeBreeze

First we'll need to know all of the words regarding the support and how long it runs as stated in the order.

Also;
under G.L. c. 215, § 6, the court retains discretion to determine whether the father should be required to support his child(ren) financially beyond thier eighteenth birthday. Eccleston v. Bankosky, 438 Mass. 428, 780 NE2d 1266 (2003).

Mansur v. Vinal, Probate and Family Court, Essex Division (89D-2178), March 26, 2001, affirmed 59 Mass.App.Ct. 1101, 793 NE2d 1286 (2003). Where a father was obligated to support his son while the son engaged in a "full-time continuous course of study," but the son failed, withdrew or received incomplete grades in at least eight courses, the support obligation ended at the date of the son's originally anticipated graduation date.

rmet4nzkx

aljanten said:
The order is just worded child support. There is no mention of college tuition. It says "this order of child support may be revisited if there is an order entered after proper pleading are filed as to the parties contribution to their daughter/s education."
Looks like you need an attorney to file those proper pleadings so the issue can get revisited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">