• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Coming to an End?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trooper1

What is the name of your state? Texas.

My son will be 18 in August and he just graduated from high school two weeks ago. My child support obligation is set to end in August. In May, I received a notice from the A. G.'s child support div. that they wanted to review my case. I called the office and spoke to a case worker and asked why they were going to review a case so close to being closed. I was told that it didn't matter, the case was still going to be reviewed and modified. My son's mother did not request the review and said that she was not going to the meeting, so I didn't go either. The day of the scheduled meeting, I got a phone call from a case worker asking why we had not shown up. The case worker told me that the meeting would be rescheduled and it was. I delivered to them a copy of my tax return, check stubs and information on my other children so that they could compute the new amount. The evening before the resceduled meeting(tomorrow), I got a notice in the mail from the A.G.'s office saying that the meeting had been cancelled and had for the following reason after that with two check boxes below it. The box checked said "other remedies will be sought." The box that wan't checked said "other."
I have three questions for now.
What could "other remedies will be sought mean?"
Can I be ordered to pay support past his 18th birthday? He is going to college.
Why is the state going to waste time with this when there is now less than two months to go and neither party is interested in assistance?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

ceara19

trooper1 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas.

What could "other remedies will be sought mean?"
It means that the caseworker with the OAG finally pulled her head out of her ass long enough to realize that she was wasting everyone's time and tax payer's money by trying to pursue a child support modification concerning a child that will most likely turn 18 before the OAG could get a judge to approve a modification.

Can I be ordered to pay support past his 18th birthday? He is going to college.
Unless the ORIGINAL order states otherwise or there is some sort of extenuating circumstance, like the child has become disabled, no, addition support will not be ordered.

Why is the state going to waste time with this when there is now less than two months to go and neither party is interested in assistance?
There's no way of knowing what the OAG's motives are. Most of the time THEY don't know. But if I had to guess, I would say it is probably because you are an easy target. You have probably paid your child support on time and in full each and every month for years. Their jobs are much easier if the only go after the parents that actually PAY what they are supposed to. Tracking down deadbeats and using the laws that are in place to enforce child support orders is just too much work for a government employee. I think they may even have a clause in their contracts that forbids forcing any CSE employee to exert any more time, energy and effort then it takes to scratch their ass and say, "I don't know the answer to that question."

trooper1

Thank you ceara19! Your answers not only put me at ease, but made me laugh as well. If you are an attorney, I wish you were mine.

dbd

Also I wanted to add that certain states whereas a child continues their education an obliger may have the child support modified prior to the childs age of emancipation,the child support amount could continue until the child graduates,also in a circumstance whereas the child become handicapped,an obliger may be required to financially support their children,until their children passes on,or until the obliger dies.

ceara19

dbd said:
Also I wanted to add that certain states whereas a child continues their education an obliger may have the child support modified prior to the childs age of emancipation,the child support amount could continue until the child graduates,also in a circumstance whereas the child become handicapped,an obliger may be required to financially support their children,until their children passes on,or until the obliger dies.
If by "continues their education" you mean college, if it's not included in the ORIGINAL order, getting it added later would be almost impossible.

Silverplum

dbd said:
Please provide legal citations for your claims. Otherwise, your post is pointless.

ceara19

Silverplum said:
Please provide legal citations for your claims. Otherwise, your post is pointless.
As are the rest of dbd's posts. :rolleyes:
I wonder if dbd stands for deadbeat dad?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">