• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support contempt of court Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

325chris

Hi everyone I'm posting this on here on behalf of my older brother that is having some problems with child support and is facing a contempt of court. My older brother is 31 years old has two kids ages 5 and 7 and a history of running from his problems. He recently came back to Ohio about a year ago after running from his child support problems because he couldn't pay the amount owed. After spending the night in jail he had made a deal with the court to pay $250 a week for his two children at the time this wasn't a problem he had a good job as a temp in a electronics factory but was let go two months ago. Since then he has been trying to find a decent job that pays good but is currently working nights at a restaurant washing dishes for very little money which only allows him to pay half of what he owes weekly. He received a letter a week ago giving him a date to appear in court for contempt. I love my brother he is not a drug addict a criminal or a person who deserves to be in jail and he is actually a good dad doing what he can in a poor economy. What can he do to stay out of jail? He cant afford a lawyer so besides a public defender he's pretty much on his own with this. If he brings bank statements check stubs and shows that he is making an effort will this help?

Antigone*

Hi everyone I'm posting this on here on behalf of my older brother that is having some problems with child support and is facing a contempt of court. My older brother is 31 years old has two kids ages 5 and 7 and a history of running from his problems. He recently came back to Ohio about a year ago after running from his child support problems because he couldn't pay the amount owed. After spending the night in jail he had made a deal with the court to pay $250 a week for his two children at the time this wasn't a problem he had a good job as a temp in a electronics factory but was let go two months ago. Since then he has been trying to find a decent job that pays good but is currently working nights at a restaurant washing dishes for very little money which only allows him to pay half of what he owes weekly. He received a letter a week ago giving him a date to appear in court for contempt. I love my brother he is not a drug addict a criminal or a person who deserves to be in jail and he is actually a good dad doing what he can in a poor economy. What can he do to stay out of jail? He cant afford a lawyer so besides a public defender he's pretty much on his own with this. If he brings bank statements check stubs and shows that he is making an effort will this help?
Why isn't your brother here looking to resolve his own problems?

Silverplum

He can pay the purge amount. Family/friends could pass the hat to help him.

325chris

He is not on here because I have free time and I'm trying to do what I can to help him wouldn't you do the same for any of your family members?

Silverplum- The purge amount is $10,000 Which none of our family has to spare or lend.

Antigone*

He is not on here because I have free time and I'm trying to do what I can to help him wouldn't you do the same for any of your family members?

Silverplum- The purge amount is $10,000 Which none of our family has to spare or lend.
If your brother is so unwilling to help himself then my suggestion to you is this: Put money on his books so he can get some top ramen and tastey cakes from the canteen.

Really, you're not doing him any favors.

Silverplum

Wow.

So his kid went without $10,000 worth of Dad's support? Mom did that on her own?

By the time he got to that much in arrears, he knew he'd been messing up. (As you noted.)

Well, time to pay Mom ~and possibly the State~ back.

Proserpina

If that's the PURGE amount, he's been ignoring his obligations for a LONG time.

He'll need to do whatever it takes. Take out a loan, sell personal items, whatever. Because he's not going to be avoiding jail unless he can actually pay that purge.

Yes, your brother is a criminal. I know that's very hard to hear and I know that it doesn't seem to you that he is - but he has not supported his children for a long, long time and now he's facing jail because of it.

It's natural that you want to help - but think about how you're helping. Even IF you all bail him out, what is that going to teach him?

What message is that sending to him?

He needs to not be enabled any longer.

325chris

I guess I should have worded that a little different. Yes I guess he is a criminal but what is putting him in jail going to do? He wages are already garnished its not like hes not paying but the jobs that are available to him aren't cutting it. The guy has a high school GED and a 1993 plymoth voyager he has nothing to sell and I highly doubt he has the kind of credit to take out a loan at this time. He's not trying to avoid paying but he has to find a job to be able to be able to afford to pay CS order and live at the same time.

Silverplum

I guess I should have worded that a little different. Yes I guess he is a criminal but what is putting him in jail going to do? He wages are already garnished its not like hes not paying but the jobs that are available to him aren't cutting it. The guy has a high school GED and a 1993 plymoth voyager he has nothing to sell and I highly doubt he has the kind of credit to take out a loan at this time. He's not trying to avoid paying but he has to find a job to be able to be able to afford to pay CS order and live at the same time.
Oh, that's a question for the law MAKERS.

Proserpina

Yeap, we understand that. But we're trying to be realistic.

He has apparently already gotten to this point before, yes? And made a payment arrangement with the court including paying some of the arrears?

Well, the court isn't likely to give him another chance to set up another payment plan that he can't afford to pay.

He can hope, I suppose, but I see a "purge or jail" situation here that's just not going to go away.

nurse2001

Why didn't he at least attempt to notify Child Support Services and the courts of his change in income?? I would think that would have been better than just not paying the ordered amount. Granted, it may not have helped his situation, but doing nothing sure didn't help either.

Antigone*

Why didn't he at least attempt to notify Child Support Services and the courts of his change in income?? I would think that would have been better than just not paying the ordered amount. Granted, it may not have helped his situation, but doing nothing sure didn't help either.
Why, because as his brother said, he'd rather run away from his problems then resolve them.

325chris

Im doing a lot of research online here and its very hard to sort through the it but everything I'm reading is saying you should contact the states CS office right away so Im asking myself the same thing....Idiot

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">