• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support....crossing state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathyginwa

What is the name of your state? Washington...Michigan...Wisconsin

My ex and I got a michigan divorce. He paid support on two kids less the amount I would owe for the 3d which he has physical custody of. (IE child support with his income for 2 kids was 1200...with my income for one kid it was 300...his support payments were then 900.)

Now I have moved back to Washington state. He is taking a new job in Wisconsin. My income will raise a bit and his is a lateral move with the exception that he will no longer have any out of pocket expenses for medical.

The question is, quite simply, which state do we use in figuring out support payments? He assumes because I will be making more (400 more a month) that he will get some huge tax break and while this had been amicable, now he's being a jerk about it.

I already was the big loser in this thing as I couldnt afford council :(

thanks
kath

LdiJ

kathyginwa said:
What is the name of your state? Washington...Michigan...Wisconsin

My ex and I got a michigan divorce. He paid support on two kids less the amount I would owe for the 3d which he has physical custody of. (IE child support with his income for 2 kids was 1200...with my income for one kid it was 300...his support payments were then 900.)

Now I have moved back to Washington state. He is taking a new job in Wisconsin. My income will raise a bit and his is a lateral move with the exception that he will no longer have any out of pocket expenses for medical.

The question is, quite simply, which state do we use in figuring out support payments? He assumes because I will be making more (400 more a month) that he will get some huge tax break and while this had been amicable, now he's being a jerk about it.

I already was the big loser in this thing as I couldnt afford council :(

thanks
kath
The current orders will stand unless he files for a modification. Its likely that they will still go by MI guidelines unless he waits until after he has established residency in WI to file. Then it will be likely to be WI's guidelines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">