• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and daycare expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feastervilee

What is the name of your state?Maine

I pay child support and the kids daycare expenses are included on the child support worksheet. Now i know for a fact that the kids are not in daycare, she claims "home daycare" . Which is her non-employed live in boyfriend is taking care of them. Is what she is "paying" him if she is paying him child care? can it be included on the worksheet? Or is he just a babysitter? Am i responsbile for babysitter's too? I would like to have this modified, cause i highly doubt she's paying him my 65.00 a week in daycare expenses, plus she won't prove it to me, i've asked many times.
But if i do have it modifed will the considered incomes for last year and current?
I have no promblem paying daycare if they were really in one, they would benefit more then being with him. My kids complain that he just plays video games all day. Don't see a point in paying her the extra, if it's not going to daycare. She's gets more the enough in child support to take care of the kids, I'm not paying for him to play video games all day.

I pay child support and the kids daycare expenses are included on the child support worksheet. Now i know for a fact that the kids are not in daycare, she claims "home daycare" . Which is her non-employed live in boyfriend is taking care of them. Is what she is "paying" him if she is paying him child care? can it be included on the worksheet? Or is he just a babysitter? Am i responsbile for babysitter's too? I would like to have this modified, cause i highly doubt she's paying him my 65.00 a week in daycare expenses, plus she won't prove it to me, i've asked many times.

First of all, is there a custody/visitation order involved? If so, is there any language regarding who should be watching the child/kids when she's not home? This is important in this. If there is specific language, she could be violating a court order and could be found in contempt (she how she likes hearing that! :D )

It sounds like the biomom is taking you for a cash ride. I am assuming that they were in a REAL daycare at the time of the support hearing. I believe in this "home daycare" case, she would have to prove that fact (reciepts, statements, etc). Plus, I believe there are guidelines in each city as to operating a "home daycare" (licensing, etc). You CAN file for a modification and I believe SHE will have to prove the home daycare issue. If she can't, then I believe she will see less support (can you watch during that time...if so, that could lower it). Have you called the CSEA dealing with the case to ask them?

LdiJ

feastervilee said:
What is the name of your state?Maine

But if i do have it modifed will the considered incomes for last year and current?
I have no promblem paying daycare if they were really in one, they would benefit more then being with him. My kids complain that he just plays video games all day. Don't see a point in paying her the extra, if it's not going to daycare. She's gets more the enough in child support to take care of the kids, I'm not paying for him to play video games all day.
Daycare is daycare, whether its done in a daycare center or whether she is paying a private babysitter....its still the expense of work related child care.

Certainly if she is NOT paying her boyfriend you would have a valid argument...however she could also argue that he is providing child care in exchange for room and board, which means that in reality she IS paying him...just not in cash.

Don't get hung up on the issues of licenses etc., because private babysitters aren't required to have them.

Now...one other word of warning.......If its been a while since your child support orders were written, and if your income has gone up since then do some research before you file for a modification. Find an online calculator and run the numbers. You wouldn't believe how many people file for modifications like that and end up with a child support INCREASE instead of a reduction, because the neglect to take that into consideration.

haiku

LdiJ said:
That really wasn't his question though...his question was whether or not it was even considered to be work related child care if it wasn't a daycare center....at least that's how I took it.
to me it seems every time OP asks this question it is more about overpaying the live in boy friend, then anything else.....

feastervilee

I know i've posted kinda the same question, but i just don't understand if a "babysitter" is the same as daycare when is comes to the child support worksheet.
They kids would benefit more with a daycare, i don't understand why she won't put them in it. She gets money from me everyweek for it. Figures when the last child support order went into effect, and week or two later she moved and never put the kids in a new daycare. this has been going on since last july, she calls it home daycare? is there any such thing? he's gotta claim this as income doesn't he? How can i find out if he is, i doubt she will tell me.
I've actually made a few thousand less this past year so my child support would go down, but the daycare always is a issue. Also i'm stuck paying airline tickets every year to fly them to maine from colorado, even though she moved them out there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">