• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support different in different states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kookbetz

What is the name of your state? CA

I just lost a case here in CA where my kids home state was and now is changed to Iowa because that is where they live now. Is the state of Iowas child support amount different from the state of CA because of the cost of living , or is it still the same from state to state

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If one of the parents still lives in the originating state, that's where jurisdiction should remain. Neither parent gets to "shop" for a better deal.

BelizeBreeze

If one of the parents still lives in the originating state, that's where jurisdiction should remain. Neither parent gets to "shop" for a better deal.
Although, if the move was made AFTER the california court ruled on the support, the ncp can file a petition to reconsider in Iowa based on the fact that neither party to the original order has signifigant ties to the home state.

And if this is in fact, the case, I would file Immediately.

kookbetz

Any more insight?

Thanks for the reply. She moved 3 years ago with the Children to IOWA and we have been going to court here in CA. The support order was set here in CA. She just recently got a change of venue to Iowa due to the fact that she lives there with the kids. I pay 1300 dollars a month plus half of daycare and medical expenses and it is killing me financially, that is why I was wondering if Child support is different in different States. I would have to file in Iowa. Should I? and if so what do I file?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">