• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Disability Fraud(maybe)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chuken17

What is the name of your state?Pa
Hello all, my name is Rick and I may have a fraud case. In a nutshell, when me and my ex-wife went to Domestic Relations to have child support taken out of my paycheck, she claimed that she was disabled from a vehicle accident she had when we were married. The support order was established in 2002. She used a doctors note/excuse(I'm not sure what to call it) to get her income level at $0. Usually, the courts, if one parent isn't working, will put that parents income at minimum wage or at $7/hr. With the doctors note, her income was put at $0. Since 2002, she has gone back to work on numerous occasions, but never stayed working longer than 3-4 months. Within the last 9 months she has worked a fuul time job, plus another half time job, and even more recently(the past 3-4 month), has remained at her full time job and has done overtime. I don't want to sound like the disgruntled ex-hubby, but since she used a doctors excuse to get her income set at $0, and she is obviously capable of working 40 hours a week and then some, isn't that concidered fraud(the use of a doctors excuse)? I haven't seen the doctors paperwork so I don't know what it states as far as complete and perminant disability, but the fact that she would use something like that to manipulate the system is reason enough for me to ask the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

Chuken17 said:
What is the name of your state?Pa
Hello all, my name is Rick and I may have a fraud case. In a nutshell, when me and my ex-wife went to Domestic Relations to have child support taken out of my paycheck, she claimed that she was disabled from a vehicle accident she had when we were married. The support order was established in 2002. She used a doctors note/excuse(I'm not sure what to call it) to get her income level at $0. Usually, the courts, if one parent isn't working, will put that parents income at minimum wage or at $7/hr. With the doctors note, her income was put at $0. Since 2002, she has gone back to work on numerous occasions, but never stayed working longer than 3-4 months. Within the last 9 months she has worked a fuul time job, plus another half time job, and even more recently(the past 3-4 month), has remained at her full time job and has done overtime. I don't want to sound like the disgruntled ex-hubby, but since she used a doctors excuse to get her income set at $0, and she is obviously capable of working 40 hours a week and then some, isn't that concidered fraud(the use of a doctors excuse)? I haven't seen the doctors paperwork so I don't know what it states as far as complete and perminant disability, but the fact that she would use something like that to manipulate the system is reason enough for me to ask the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt that it would be considered as fraud. People often do have disabilities related to accidents that improve over time. However, you certainly do have grounds at this point to file for a modification.

HOWEVER...please be careful about this. Sometimes the fact that one parent isn't working doesn't have a dramatic effect on a child support calculation. Plus, if your income has increased since the order was written, you might end up with no change at all....or an increase rather than a decrease.

Look for an online child support calculator for your state and run the numbers before you make any decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">