• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Driver's License Suspension/Recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorguy3

What is the name of your state? Florida

In short, as I have already explained my situation in another thread, I thought I would look at this from a different perspective.

Is there any recourse against anyone involved; Judge, General Master, Hearing Officer, D.O.R., D.O.R.'s Attorney, Ex's Attorney, D.M.V?

My situation is that I was sent a letter in April 04 stating my license would be suspended if I didn't pay the "back support" due. The figure was too much for me to pay out at any one time. I have had at least 4 failed attempts at modifying child support as I am still working off of the original order (6 months after my ex took off with our son.) I wasn't making the amount of money they based my support on at the time and they were aware of that fact.

I say I had 4 failed attempts as my attorney and I have had hearings but we only come away with bs charges being held against me (contempt of court) and modification is never discussed, although it is on the docket. The last hearing that took place, the hearing officer said it was not on the docket (I do have proof via the clerk of courts office that it was indeed on the docket). I came away from that hearing with a Writ with Bodily attachment with a purge over a grand.

Around 4th quarter 2003, my ex's attorney initiated the garnishment of my paycheck from work. Because I was also forced to pay 100% of the medical for my son, after they garnished my paycheck, I took home voided paystubs for more than twelve months. Although they were garnishing, they kept saying I was not paying the child support. I do have stubs to prove the payments. So, that is about the time I got the letter for suspension of my license.

I informed them I was paying through garnishment. My ex informed them she was getting payments yet, they still suspended my license.

I was recently denied a position at a job paying over $30k a year because I don't have a license. The hearing officer asked me why don't I get a job at McDonalds. I told her it would not be enough to pay support and live. I told her about the position I lost and she just said "oh well."

Is there anything I can do about this and has anyone here gone through this?

I am really getting burned out from all this.

Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

"...In short, as I have already explained my situation in another thread, I thought I would look at this from a different perspective...."

So this is a double post?

gatorguy3

It is a smaller part of the bigger situation. I didn't cut and paste it if that is what you are asking.

I am just curious if anyone has had the situation and, if anything, did they put action to the problem. I am running out of options, as I am sure many people are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">