• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support During Prison Sentence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janeycherokee

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? I live in Illinois. My ex-husband is currently incarcerated in Missouri. He is scheduled to be released in August 2005. My question is whether I can obtain child support from him for the approximately 4 years he has been locked up-deservedly so, I might add. He was employed prior to this conviction. I do not feel that he should be exempt from contributing to the support of our daughter due to his own criminal acts, but do not know if the courts in either of our states would agree with me. Our child is 16, and wants no contact with him at all. It is embarrassing and humiliating to her for him to have put himself in this situation.However, the money would be a great help to me towards her college expenses in 2 years! Please advise. Thank you...

VeronicaGia

Janeycherokee said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? I live in Illinois. My ex-husband is currently incarcerated in Missouri. He is scheduled to be released in August 2005. My question is whether I can obtain child support from him for the approximately 4 years he has been locked up-deservedly so, I might add. He was employed prior to this conviction. I do not feel that he should be exempt from contributing to the support of our daughter due to his own criminal acts, but do not know if the courts in either of our states would agree with me. Our child is 16, and wants no contact with him at all. It is embarrassing and humiliating to her for him to have put himself in this situation.However, the money would be a great help to me towards her college expenses in 2 years! Please advise. Thank you...
Do you have a valid child support order? If so, what state controls the support order? Did he go to court to get support stopped during his incarceration? Some states will stop support during incarceration, whether you feel it's right or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">