• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/Each Parent Has Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reyna7

I have searched for over an hour on this site for an answer and have come up blank. Here is the situation.

Each parent has custody of one child and live in different states. Father pays child support for child that lives with the Mother. This was an agreement they came up with and it was signed by a judge. He is wondering if he can open a child support case in the new state. The Mother has income from rental properties etc. At the time of the agreement the Father was making more, but his situation has changed and his income is less.

I did not want to advise him with wrong information. My first inclination was to tell him that it was OK and that she should be paying.

Thanks

haiku

I was always under the impression that as long as one parent still resided in the state the original court order came from, that state would continue to retain jurisdiction over the case.

Reyna7

What If

haiku said:
I was always under the impression that as long as one parent still resided in the state the original court order came from, that state would continue to retain jurisdiction over the case.
The child becomes a resident of the new state. See that is why I was confused and did not know the answer. Maybe he should just see an attorney!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">