• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Ending?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lputnam

My question is in the State of South Carolina does a parent that is paying child support have to pay child support for the child all the way through college or does it stop when the child turns 18 years old? My step-daughter is going to turn 18 in a few months and we were wondering if that meant that the child support would stop?:confused: :confused: What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Silverplum

lputnam said:
My question is in the State of South Carolina does a parent that is paying child support have to pay child support for the child all the way through college or does it stop when the child turns 18 years old? My step-daughter is going to turn 18 in a few months and we were wondering if that meant that the child support would stop?:confused: :confused: What is the name of your state? South Carolina
See this link:
http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=SC

Looks like it ends at 18, but can be continued. A court order IS required to end, so don't just stop. File for emancipation and get the court order that it IS stopped.

Neal1421

lputnam said:
If the child is 18 and still in high school, it would continue until she finishes high school.

What does the court order say about when the support is to end?

nextwife

lputnam said:
My question is in the State of South Carolina does a parent that is paying child support have to pay child support for the child all the way through college
Gee, my sis finally "finished" her last degree at age 40. Maybe the state should have made my parents support her "all the way through college"?

CandiceH

nextwife said:
Gee, my sis finally "finished" her last degree at age 40. Maybe the state should have made my parents support her "all the way through college"?
LOL....I am going back to school at 35, maybe I should tell my mother that she needs to get all that back support from good ole Dad to support my a$$ through college! BTW my sister is 28 and he is STILL paying for her back support :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">