• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Ending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DA412

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I'm the NCP and pay child support directly to Mom via personal check through US Mail. CSE has never been involved and I don't owe anything to the state.

My parenting plan states the following:

"Upon the minor child reaching the age of eighteen (18) or upon graduation of high school, whichever comes later, the responsible parties responsibility for child support payments shall be extinguished."

Since it's been outlined in my parenting plan, does that mean I can stop paying child support without petitioning the court first?

Just want to make sure I completely understand, thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I'm the NCP and pay child support directly to Mom via personal check through US Mail. CSE has never been involved and I don't owe anything to the state.

My parenting plan states the following:

"Upon the minor child reaching the age of eighteen (18) or upon graduation of high school, whichever comes later, the responsible parties responsibility for child support payments shall be extinguished."

Since it's been outlined in my parenting plan, does that mean I can stop paying child support without petitioning the court first?

Just want to make sure I completely understand, thanks.
Yes, that means that you can stop paying after your child turns 18.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, that means that you can stop paying after your child turns 18.
No, that means the OP can stop paying at the later of the child turning 18, or HS graduation.

The OP's question is whether he has to go back to court to have the CS officially terminated...

LdiJ

No, that means the OP can stop paying at the later of the child turning 18, or HS graduation.

The OP's question is whether he has to go back to court to have the CS officially terminated...
You are correct...after 18 or high school graduation.

I guess what I really should have said was that no, he does not have to go back to court to get CS officially terminated. However the only reason that he does not have to do so is because its paid directly to the other parent.

DA412

Correct. My daughter turns 18 in December and graduates high school in May, so I understand that my child support continues until May. I just didn't know if I could stop paying on my own or if I have to go through the court first.

DA412

You are correct...after 18 or high school graduation.

I guess what I really should have said was that no, he does not have to go back to court to get CS officially terminated. However the only reason that he does not have to do so is because its paid directly to the other parent.
Great, that's what I needed to know. Thank you.

Silverplum

Correct. My daughter turns 18 in December and graduates high school in May, so I understand that my child support continues until May. I just didn't know if I could stop paying on my own or if I have to go through the court first.
You can stop paying child support to Mom, as you thought. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally speaking - THROUGH May.

DA412

Another Question

This may not be the right place to ask this question, so I apologize in advance if it's not.

I understand that, after my daughter turns 18, the parenting plan is no longer in effect - i.e. visitation, etc. - since she will be a legal adult. Does this also apply to health insurance?

Under our current parenting plan, I'm required to carry health insurance, but it says nothing about continuing to cover her after she turns 18. I would continue to keep her on my policy so she would have coverage, but her mother has her on her own insurance policy and never uses mine.

Am I correct in assuming I'm no longer required to provide health insurance after she turns 18?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">