• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support ending for one child but not the other

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

What happens when there is a child support order for two children (with the same mother) and the older of the two reaches age of majority but the younger one won't reach age of majority (and graduate high school) for another 18-21 months?

I know that the child support probably doesn't get cut in half but I'm unclear on what happens. Would the NCP file for child support to end for the older child? If so, how would they know how much to take out for the remaining child? Would they redo the whole calculation based on the fact that there is only 1 child to support under the order?:confused:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

irish933

When was the last time your CS order was modified?
I know in my daughters case, just as in your case, when they went to court to have the older one dropped they recalculated CS from the NCP's previous 3 years tax returns, and based it on the 1 child calculation from there.

Here try this sight as a guide.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/kansas/

Good Luck!

Last edited:

justalayman

I know of a person who had one of three children reach the age hwere CS would stop. He spoke with his attorney and was told based upon his current income ( It had increased quite a bit since the last modification) his CS would actually go UP even though he would be paying on only two children.

So, if you are the NCP, be careful and aware.
If you are the CP, be aware.

irish933

justalayman said:
I know of a person who had one of three children reach the age hwere CS would stop. He spoke with his attorney and was told based upon his current income ( It had increased quite a bit since the last modification) his CS would actually go UP even though he would be paying on only two children.
So, if you are the NCP, be careful and aware.
If you are the CP, be aware.
You are right about that.

That is why I included the above link for calculations!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">