• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support enforcement after it is court ordered and they still don't pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kjl777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL How can child support be enforced even if it is being handled through DHR and no payments have been made in 90 days...I have contacted the case worker and was told to keep checking on line and see if any payments have been made. He was applying for disability and was supposedly approved, but how long does it take for the "garnishment" to be effective. He claims he has received his money in the past 30 days and they "cut him too much" to pay arrears and back child support, but I have yet to receive anything and my case worker said he did not show any "proof" that he has received anything. I thought that when they missed paying for 90 days or the amount exceeded $500 that a lien was put on their assets... he is more than 4 months behind and he owed over $5000 in arrears. Can you give me any suggestions on how to handle this and is DHR supposed to pick up the case again when no payments have been made in 90 days. The amount for just the months missed (because no payment was made for month of May) is over $1500 (this amount does NOT include interest). If DHR was handling the case for the past 18 months; what are their duties as far as enforcing the order. My child is 18, but he was instructed he would have to pay until she turned 19. He quit paying as soon as she graduated this past May.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL How can child support be enforced even if it is being handled through DHR and no payments have been made in 90 days...I have contacted the case worker and was told to keep checking on line and see if any payments have been made. He was applying for disability and was supposedly approved, but how long does it take for the "garnishment" to be effective. He claims he has received his money in the past 30 days and they "cut him too much" to pay arrears and back child support, but I have yet to receive anything and my case worker said he did not show any "proof" that he has received anything. I thought that when they missed paying for 90 days or the amount exceeded $500 that a lien was put on their assets... he is more than 4 months behind and he owed over $5000 in arrears. Can you give me any suggestions on how to handle this and is DHR supposed to pick up the case again when no payments have been made in 90 days. The amount for just the months missed (because no payment was made for month of May) is over $1500 (this amount does NOT include interest). If DHR was handling the case for the past 18 months; what are their duties as far as enforcing the order. My child is 18, but he was instructed he would have to pay until she turned 19. He quit paying as soon as she graduated this past May.
He has to pay until she is 19 in the state of Alabama (because that's the age of majority). DHR will handle this until it's paid off. I suggest letting the system work; I'm willing to bet that DHR is notifying/will notify the IRS to place a hold on any federal tax refund the ex might be eligible for. The speed at which DHR moves is dependent on the amount of cases each worker is handling. :cool:

This document explains what DHR does in CS cases:
http://dhr.state.al.us/documents/cs_guide.pdf

Proserpina

If he's on SSDI: He can be garnished for arrears.

If he's on SSI: They can't touch him.

As far as money coming from a recently approved claim, he might have to wait up to 5 months before he'll see anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">