• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trblem8r

What is the name of your state (Kansas)?
I have a male friend that moved here to Kansas from Wisconsin, at the time he was seperated from his wife for 8 yrs. In Dec of 2008 they were divorced. In the divorce he was ordered to pay child support. Long story short...he is disabled and no income and is reappling for disability all he gets is food stamps and his rent & utilities paid. He told me that he has a felony warrant in Wisconsin already, and he received a letter from Wisconsin C/S that he has one for for back support. Can they extradite him from Kansas to Wisconsin?
I beleive he needs to pay his dues, those kids deserve the money but how do they get it when someone doen't have an income and they sit in jail.:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (Kansas)?
I have a male friend that moved here to Kansas from Wisconsin, at the time he was seperated from his wife for 8 yrs. In Dec of 2008 they were divorced. In the divorce he was ordered to pay child support. Long story short...he is disabled and no income and is reappling for disability all he gets is food stamps and his rent & utilities paid. He told me that he has a felony warrant in Wisconsin already, and he received a letter from Wisconsin C/S that he has one for for back support. Can they extradite him from Kansas to Wisconsin?
I beleive he needs to pay his dues, those kids deserve the money but how do they get it when someone doen't have an income and they sit in jail.:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It sounds to me like your friend has not been showing to court when he needs to show for court and argue his case. Yes, he can be extradited. The question is whether or not the state will be willing to spend the money to extradite.

What is his disability and how has he attempted to get disability benefits? Has he hired an attorney that specializes in disability cases? Those lawyers do take the cases on contingency so he wouldn't have any upfront costs if the attorney believes that he is disabled. Does he have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI if he is granted disability benefits?

trblem8r

Yes he has a lawyer on his disablity. He is more worried about going to jail in Wisconsin. And he should be.

Gracie3787

Yes he has a lawyer on his disablity. He is more worried about going to jail in Wisconsin. And he should be.
He really needs to contact the CSE agency ASAP.

If he provides them with documentation that he has applied for disabilty, they will most likely be willing to work out some type of payment arrangement with him.

The 1 thing he should NOT do is to ignore the situation.

LdiJ

Yes, but if he gets disability (assuming its SSDI) then the custodial parent is going to get backpay as the rep payee for the children, and ongoing support in the form of the children's benefits. That could mitigate things for him a great deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">