• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support filed in one state but work in anothere

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workingpoor

What is the name of your state? Michigan, I live and work in Michigan, does Michigan childsupport laws follow to the state of florida? Specfically, if I took a transfer from my company to Florida would my checks be garnised if an old aquantance filed for child support in Michigan .

Shay-Pari'e

workingpoor said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan, I live and work in Michigan, does Michigan childsupport laws follow to the state of florida? Specfically, if I took a transfer from my company to Florida would my checks be garnised if an old aquantance filed for child support in Michigan .
You think moving negates your responsibility to pay support? I'm not sure what you are asking.

justalayman

workingpoor said:
I don't know the mechanics of getting your wages garnished if you would move to Florida or if possible at all. The one thing for sure though is you would still be responsible for any child support the courts in any state ordered you to pay.

Whether your acquaintance would need to deal with the courts in Florida to get anything enforced, there are others here that should be able to tell you that.

workingpoor said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "does Michigan child support laws follow the state of florida" either. Maybe you should clarify this first. In any event I'll try to explain how it works. If a child support order is commenced in Michigan, than Michigan has jurisdiction and thus the amounts they set for support are under Michigan's guidelines. As far as enforcement, Michigan can and will garnish your wages if you should move to Florida.

ceara19

If you are asking if you can move to Florida and avoid having your wages garnished because someone you had a child with is going to be filing for support in Michigan, the answer is NO. If you have a child support obligation, it's going to follow you to any state you move to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">