• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support/ financial affidavit / alleged fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I also agree.

And further, I believe that without an attorney the court is going to have a field day. Which, honestly, is very fitting.
I am still confused about something and I wish someone would simply explain it. I understand that financial affidavits need to be filled out in divorce cases. This however appears to be a paternity/child support case. What relevance does whether or not someone owns a home have in a paternity/child support case? I am trying to understand why the attorney is even making a stink about it?

There may be more going on than simply calculating child support, but if that is the case, I would like the OP to explain that because otherwise, whether or not he owns a home is NOT going to impact how much child support he pays.

Proserpina

I am still confused about something and I wish someone would simply explain it. I understand that financial affidavits need to be filled out in divorce cases. This however appears to be a paternity/child support case. What relevance does whether or not someone owns a home have in a paternity/child support case? I am trying to understand why the attorney is even making a stink about it?

There may be more going on than simply calculating child support, but if that is the case, I would like the OP to explain that because otherwise, whether or not he owns a home is NOT going to impact how much child support he pays.

I don't think that's the point though - it's the point that what he apparently said one thing on his financials, and just happened to leave off a niggling little detail.

LdiJ

I don't think that's the point though - it's the point that what he apparently said one thing on his financials, and just happened to leave off a niggling little detail.
I understand that. I just don't see why its important enough for the attorney to be making a stink about it. Now, if they negotiated some sort of settlement on arrears, and there is lots of equity in the home, then it would make sense...but the OP has not explained himself (or herself as Stealth pointed out) therefore child support is the only issue that seems relevant at the moment.

However, I really do think that the OP is dad. The OP said that the child was born in FL but that the OP has always been a resident of NC...while there is a chance that mom might have been in FL visiting when she went into labor, that wouldn't have given FL jurisdiction.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why do we think this is a guy? :confused:
Because that is how "he" has posted on the threads he deleted.

ETA: Not to forget this as well:
I settled a paternity suit in Florida, the child was born there but I am resident of North Carolina and always have been.
If OP has always lived in North Carolina but the child was born in Florida and lives in Florida, then OP is not mom and has to be dad. And dads are male.

CJane

Even for child support cases, parents are expected to fill out financial affidavits. I suspect that there are several things going on here, only one of which is the failure to report the asset. Such as - OP hasn't disclosed "enough" income to be able to afford the house OP is living in - so the assumption is s/he lied about the income available for CS. Or, OP juggled the "loan" from the family member and the filing of the deed SPECIFICALLY to avoid the court knowing about this "loan" and/or actual income from non-job sources. Or, OP wanted to be able to claim that s/he had no assets that could be attached at the time of the hearing, when in fact OP DID have assets that could be attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">