• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and/or FOOD STAMPS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkigirl

What is the name of your state?OHIO

I live in Ohio. My oldest child's father lives in Chicago, my concern is I would like to and really need to take him to court for the support of our child. I also have two other children by some one else, however for the total of the three children I receive only food stamps. My concern is if I take my oldest son's father to court will my child support payments go the Public Assistance and I only receive something like $50.00, while they receive the bigger portion of the support order. If so what would you recommend me to do. I only get $310.00 in Food Stamps monthly. I am currently on Unemployment.

Thank You,
Nikkigirl

Gracie3787

nikkigirl said:
What is the name of your state?OHIO

I live in Ohio. My oldest child's father lives in Chicago, my concern is I would like to and really need to take him to court for the support of our child. I also have two other children by some one else, however for the total of the three children I receive only food stamps. My concern is if I take my oldest son's father to court will my child support payments go the Public Assistance and I only receive something like $50.00, while they receive the bigger portion of the support order. If so what would you recommend me to do. I only get $310.00 in Food Stamps monthly. I am currently on Unemployment.

Thank You,
Nikkigirl
LEGALLY- your children (all 3 of them) are entitled to the CS, the fathers are LEGALLY responsible for assisting in supporting thier children.

SO- Go get CS for ALL of your kids.

If you lose some food stamps, or money, so what- we, the taxpayers are NOT responsible for feeding YOUR kids- you and thier fathers are. If you don't file for CS from all the fathers, you will continue to force us to feed your kids.

It doesn't matter if a CP is on assistance or not, I personally cannot fathom why any good parent would willingly let the other parent off the hook by NOT filing for CS. :confused:
Gracie

nikkigirl

Repaying Public Aid

My concern is will not living off tax payers. I don't care about losing food stamps I am wondering will public aid take my child support for my children due to the past help they (Public Aid) has provided for us.

txmomof2

Food Stamps

Food Stamps is not a program that will recoup the child support. Only Cash Assistance (TANF) has that requirement (where the state keeps all but $50 a month unless the child support is more than the TANF plus $50).

You can receive Food Stamps and all of your Child Support. The Child Support income in your case may LOWER your FS benefits, but no- the state will not hold it back- FS is a Federal Program and the states are not going to recoup.

(I work in the Food Stamp office)...if you have a question specific to your state- you can always call your local Child Support Enforcement office and ask the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">