• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support and Food Stamps?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

You two are free to take your own back-slapping high school antics elsewhere.

There are other forums out there, y'know. It's not as if you're being forced to enjoy our company here. :cool:

(Darn this being my birthday month...)

denelles

You two are free to take your own back-slapping high school antics elsewhere.

There are other forums out there, y'know. It's not as if you're being forced to enjoy our company here. :cool:

(Darn this being my birthday month...)
Thanks so much for piping in with words of help!! So glad you're here to offer sage advice, can't believe it's actually free!! Wow ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Alex - since you seem to know all today - why don't YOU tell OP where to find her precious form? 'Cause I can tell ya know that the likelihood of those who actually do know of providing the info is pretty much nil.

Have a good day, both of you. :rolleyes:

denelles

Alex - since you seem to know all today - why don't YOU tell OP where to find her precious form? 'Cause I can tell ya know that the likelihood of those who actually do know of providing the info is pretty much nil.

Have a good day, both of you. :rolleyes:
Wow, do you guys all get together and bully up on each post or do you read through and do it independently?! Just amazing. Maybe all of these posters are really just the same person? Wonder if people would say these kinds of things on here if they were forced to list their full names?

Oh well, thanks to you too for stopping by with your insights, you've been so much help! :D

TinkerBelleLuvr

They want the child support to go through DOR so that it is accurately accounted for - dad might only be claiming the amount that is ordered, not the amount actually being paid.

My first gut reaction on this is that you are FACILITATING dad to NOT look for a job. I recommend reading books on co-dependency.

I can see paying for the children's phones - but DAD's?

If you agree to making the change, then just ask for the change to be stipulated (no trial, just submitted to the courts for a judge's signature.)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wow, do you guys all get together and bully up on each post or do you read through and do it independently?! Just amazing. Maybe all of these posters are really just the same person? Wonder if people would say these kinds of things on here if they were forced to list their full names?

Oh well, thanks to you too for stopping by with your insights, you've been so much help! :D
No bullying here - just suggesting that Alex provide you the answer to your question.

denelles

They want the child support to go through DOR so that it is accurately accounted for - dad might only be claiming the amount that is ordered, not the amount actually being paid.

My first gut reaction on this is that you are FACILITATING dad to NOT look for a job. I recommend reading books on co-dependency.

I can see paying for the children's phones - but DAD's?

If you agree to making the change, then just ask for the change to be stipulated (no trial, just submitted to the courts for a judge's signature.)
See that's exactly what I was wondering (why would they sue me to do something I'm already DOING), thank you! That makes total sense that they want to be sure of the amount he gets so he's not underreporting $$.

You may be right about the facilitating, but that's a much longer story than can really be resolved on this board. :eek: But fortunately he's currently on the right track as he recently got a temp-perm a job that is presently providing him steady work.

And thank you also for the advice, I will look into doing that as part of my answer.

Indiana Filer

And just so you know, since dad is on welfare and the state is helping to support your children, he may not get the full child support. The state may keep part of it to reimburse them for the welfare they are giving him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, this is very good advice,
succinctly delivered:

1 ~ File your response with the court.
2 ~ Yes, you should absolutely respond.
In spite of your largess, Dad has applied for food stamps. These are part of TANF benefits. This means that the state will take reimbursement for some of their expenses out of your child support payments, and only a portion will "pass through" to Dad.

This is why "reality" is about to smack all you all in the face. Dad is suddenly going to, in all likelihood, be getting less than he used to, even if you continue paying the same amount. I suspect Dad is going to be surprised by this. When one asks the government for help, sometimes there's unexpected consequences.

Antigone*

actually, this is very good advice,
succinctly delivered:

In spite of your largess, dad has applied for food stamps. These are part of tanf benefits. This means that the state will take reimbursement for some of their expenses out of your child support payments, and only a portion will "pass through" to dad.

This is why "reality" is about to smack all you all in the face. Dad is suddenly going to, in all likelihood, be getting less than he used to, even if you continue paying the same amount. I suspect dad is going to be surprised by this. When one asks the government for help, sometimes there's unexpected consequences.
bingo ;););)

denelles

Actually, this is very good advice,
succinctly delivered:

In spite of your largess, Dad has applied for food stamps. These are part of TANF benefits. This means that the state will take reimbursement for some of their expenses out of your child support payments, and only a portion will "pass through" to Dad.

This is why "reality" is about to smack all you all in the face. Dad is suddenly going to, in all likelihood, be getting less than he used to, even if you continue paying the same amount. I suspect Dad is going to be surprised by this. When one asks the government for help, sometimes there's unexpected consequences.
Wow, more kind advice :) I realize I've missed a lot here, but I'm not going to address any more of the back & forth nonsense because really, I have more to do with my life than to defend myself against people I've never met, or refute what amounts to completely irrelevant nonsense spewed by a bunch of bullies with too much time on their hands.

HOWEVER, in the event this information helps others who are ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR ADVICE on the issue (assuming those people exist on this board?), here is the outcome: The "advice" here has been mostly FAR off the mark so keep that in mind when asking for "advice." Other than the tip to call an attorney or legal aid for help navigating the paperwork AND to REPLY within 20 days, it was mostly dead wrong.

AND sorry to break it to the all-knowing bullies out there, but in FL they can NOT dip into your child support to repay food stamps so you don't need to worry that your child support payments will no longer go to help support your children should your support order be revised so that you have to pay the DOR instead of your ex directly.

All told, it doesn't look like "reality" is going to smack my ex on the head any time soon. And it looks like me paying the state instead of my ex in no way changes my "reality" either. :eek: AND chances are slim they'll be able to recover costs (as requested) because I am not behind on my child support. So no more worries there.

Hope this information helps someone facing a similar situation. Thanks to all who offered their words of wisdom or support if they didn't have knowledge. If you're faced with this situation, the best advice is: Take a deep breath, call an attorney (or legal aid), draft a response & file it and then wait for the next steps. Either way, you and your family will be fine. :cool:

Proserpina

Wow, more kind advice :) I realize I've missed a lot here, but I'm not going to address any more of the back & forth nonsense because really, I have more to do with my life than to defend myself against people I've never met, or refute what amounts to completely irrelevant nonsense spewed by a bunch of bullies with too much time on their hands.

HOWEVER, in the event this information helps others who are ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR ADVICE on the issue (assuming those people exist on this board?), here is the outcome: The "advice" here has been mostly FAR off the mark so keep that in mind when asking for "advice." Other than the tip to call an attorney or legal aid for help navigating the paperwork AND to REPLY within 20 days, it was mostly dead wrong.

AND sorry to break it to the all-knowing bullies out there, but in FL they can NOT dip into your child support to repay food stamps so you don't need to worry that your child support payments will no longer go to help support your children should your support order be revised so that you have to pay the DOR instead of your ex directly.

All told, it doesn't look like "reality" is going to smack my ex on the head any time soon. And it looks like me paying the state instead of my ex in no way changes my "reality" either. :eek: AND chances are slim they'll be able to recover costs (as requested) because I am not behind on my child support. So no more worries there.

Hope this information helps someone facing a similar situation. Thanks to all who offered their words of wisdom or support if they didn't have knowledge. If you're faced with this situation, the best advice is: Take a deep breath, call an attorney (or legal aid), draft a response & file it and then wait for the next steps. Either way, you and your family will be fine. :cool:

Quotable.

Totally quotable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">