• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Formula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike703

What is the name of your state? TN

Is there anybody out there who is familiar (or could point me in the right direction) with the formula used to calculate child support in the state of Tennessee.

I received a notice from the state stating that every 6 months (or a year, not certain) I have the right to request a review of the parenting agreement between my ex and I. The child support amount under out original (and current) agreement was based on the fact my ex (who was given custodial rights) was unemployed. My ex is also married and has been even before our court proceedings ever started. Not sure if his salary was a factor in the original amount.

I believe my ex has since become gainfully employed as well as her husband and both of their incomes contribute to the support of my daughter (in addition to my $500/month that I contribute).

Another issue is that I incur all of the burden of traveling (and travel costs). I travel 500 miles monthly and costs of around $500-$600 monthly to see and send time with my daughter, whereas my ex travels about 5 in order to take her to agreed upon (was really non-negotioable) meeting area. I am not sure if this would even be considered a factor but would like to know.

I would like to find out if it would even be worth the time, trouble, and absorbant amount of money in travel expenses to seek a modification of child support.

I would also be interested in knowing what the downfalls would be of seeking modification. Can my ex request more support from me??

In case you are wondering, I am not looking to escape child support in any way. If, in fact, support on my part was lowered it would only be put directly towards my child (via trust fund or interest bearing savings account). My only concern is my ex claiming to be unemployed for the purpose of receiving a higher amount of support and then working shortly afterwards and in the process abusing the system.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Rude awakening for you...

Mike703 said:
What is the name of your state? TN

Is there anybody out there who is familiar (or could point me in the right direction) with the formula used to calculate child support in the state of Tennessee.

I received a notice from the state stating that every 6 months (or a year, not certain) I have the right to request a review of the parenting agreement between my ex and I. The child support amount under out original (and current) agreement was based on the fact my ex (who was given custodial rights) was unemployed. My ex is also married and has been even before our court proceedings ever started. Not sure if his salary was a factor in the original amount.

His factor will NOT be a factor in the amount. He doesn't have a legal responsibility or obligation to support YOUR child. He is NOT the child's father.

I believe my ex has since become gainfully employed as well as her husband and both of their incomes contribute to the support of my daughter (in addition to my $500/month that I contribute).

What a shame. His income DOES NOT FACTOR IN TO THE SUPPORT OF YOUR DAUGHTER. Only your ex's income and your income if TN is a shared income state. I am not 100% sure on that. If not then it is just your income.

Another issue is that I incur all of the burden of traveling (and travel costs). I travel 500 miles monthly and costs of around $500-$600 monthly to see and send time with my daughter, whereas my ex travels about 5 in order to take her to agreed upon (was really non-negotioable) meeting area. I am not sure if this would even be considered a factor but would like to know.

Who moved? Who created the distance? You agreed to that spot when? If you moved and created the distance then you would bear the brunt of travel. If you agreed upon the spot then you are stuck unless there is a change in circumstance.

I would like to find out if it would even be worth the time, trouble, and absorbant amount of money in travel expenses to seek a modification of child support.

I would also be interested in knowing what the downfalls would be of seeking modification. Can my ex request more support from me??

In case you are wondering, I am not looking to escape child support in any way. If, in fact, support on my part was lowered it would only be put directly towards my child (via trust fund or interest bearing savings account). My only concern is my ex claiming to be unemployed for the purpose of receiving a higher amount of support and then working shortly afterwards and in the process abusing the system.
YOur point seems to be that her husband is responsible for supporting your child. He isn't. If your ex is now working and TN is a shared income state, answer this: was an income imputed to her?

http://www.state.tn.us/humanserv/is/incomeshares.htm

Try this link. It tells you how to download the child support calculator that TN uses. This is the same calculator that the judge will use as well. I got this link from my attorney AND the Divorce Coordinator in my town.

If your ex is unemployed you can request that they impute an income.

If you look at that link, it explains nearly everything.

Mike703

Thanks for the advice..

I'm not so much concerned about her husbands income. My main concern is my ex, I do not believe there was any income from her taken into consideration.

Mike703 said:
Thanks for the advice..

I'm not so much concerned about her husbands income. My main concern is my ex, I do not believe there was any income from her taken into consideration.
When did you divorce? Because it has only been in the last year or so that our state (TN) changed the way it calculates support. Before January of 2005, when the new laws went into effect, TN didn't use both parents incomes. Now with the new Income Shares formula, they do.

Mike703

I was never married but the original dollar amount was based on the old calculation of an automatic 20% of my income.

Mike703 said:
I was never married but the original dollar amount was based on the old calculation of an automatic 20% of my income.
Then you might be entitled to a reduction. IF you request that they impute an income to your ex. Just punch in the numbers and see what it says. What county are you in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">