• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Let see: I was married to the fella - we both were MARRIED (obviously to each other), we both were filing for custody of the children while a divorce was pending and the COURTS REQUIRED him to give me X amount of support each month to keep a roof over everyone's head while under the same roof. HMMMMM ... that was FOC who was enforcing that one.

What makes you think that if they are NOT married to each other that the courts wouldn't want the children to be supported. The State of Michigan does NOT want to support these children - they expect BOTH parents to support the children.

Added thought: there was another child support order out there for older children by an X wife.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I agree wiand lawfully shouldn't be and solely doing it to benefit himself and th you sh*t does happen - and some things are unavoidable. However, if my ex-husband is doing something fraudulant in nature and I can prove that to benefit my children than don't you believe I should? My children are my #1 priority and if what he is doing is just and legal than ok...that's a situation that I have no control over. But, if he is doing this for the purpose of taking away from my children & benefitting himself and I can do something to stop him -shouldn't I?
There is NOTHING illegal about what they are doing - with FOC and filing for support.

CourtClerk

I agree wiand lawfully shouldn't be and solely doing it to benefit himself and th you sh*t does happen - and some things are unavoidable. However, if my ex-husband is doing something fraudulant in nature and I can prove that to benefit my children than don't you believe I should? My children are my #1 priority and if what he is doing is just and legal than ok...that's a situation that I have no control over. But, if he is doing this for the purpose of taking away from my children & benefitting himself and I can do something to stop him -shouldn't I?
One more time... very slowly.

THERE IS NO FRAUD WHEN THESE ARE HIS CHILDREN. He has an obligation to support THESE children just like he has an obligation to support YOUR children.

Quite honestly, I don't give my ex that much space in my head to worry about what he's doing as long as he's supporting his child. If he's committing "fraud," then he'll hang himself eventually.

Taking away from your children? Dramatic much?

goodmom0723

There is NO "child support" fraud if the two are NOT married. Mom is being very smart and having everything thru the courts in this regard since there is no protection of rights - they are NOT married.

Now, if the mom is collecting food stamps, TANF, etc. and living with someone AND not reporting it, that is a different story. And NO, you should NOT be privy to that. That would be between the mom and the state.

On a personal note, you sound like a bitter woman. If you didn't follow child support guidelines before, and now regret it, oh well.

Michigan child support guidelines:
Michigan Child Support Formula
I really resent your comment about me being bitter. I am not bitter. I am simply looking out for the well being of my children. I was informed that what he was doing is fraudulant. Obviously from the comments I'm reading today I have been misinformed. My lawyer even told me to hire a private investigator - so I was made to believe his actions were fraudulant. I did follow child support guidelines in my divorce - I have done everything by the book. He on the other hand has not. He has covered up the fact that he had a job & I had to play p.i. to figure out he was working - he went 2 years without a job - he is learning how to play the system & my children are not a priority of his. I am simply trying to be a good mom & look out for their best interest - I appologize if I'm coming off as bitter or resentful - that is not the case at all. I am simply trying to do the right thing for my children.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Oh, I wear that T-shirt well. We won't speak of the tens of thousands I have waived from arrearages while he was "unemployed." Did that several times.

You are lucky to be the custodial parent. You have your children there with you. When the children get older, they will see the other parent for whom they really are.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I really resent your comment about me being bitter.
You resemble that comment however.

I am not bitter.
You are coming across as such as well as portraying yourself as such.
I am simply looking out for the well being of my children. I was informed that what he was doing is fraudulant. Obviously from the comments I'm reading today I have been misinformed.
Yes you have.

My lawyer even told me to hire a private investigator - so I was made to believe his actions were fraudulant.
Nope. NOt fraudulent. And truthfully you would tick off a judge if you are having your EX husband tailed.

I did follow child support guidelines in my divorce - I have done everything by the book. He on the other hand has not. He has covered up the fact that he had a job & I had to play p.i. to figure out he was working - he went 2 years without a job - he is learning how to play the system & my children are not a priority of his.
Yet he is paying support right? There is a support order. And YOUR (singular) children shouldn't be a priority of his. HIS children should be. Try including him in the parenting and you may find him making them more of a priority.

I am simply trying to be a good mom & look out for their best interest - I appologize if I'm coming off as bitter or resentful - that is not the case at all. I am simply trying to do the right thing for my children.

Then try to remember that your children have another parent.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hey goodmom you are coming across as trying to get dad anyway you can though -- especially based on your other thread. Why do you want to nail dad so badly? Why do you hate part of your children so much?

SnowandIceGuy

Hey goodmom you are coming across as trying to get dad anyway you can though -- especially based on your other thread. Why do you want to nail dad so badly? Why do you hate part of your children so much?
This doesn't seem really fair. If I have a child with someone and pay support, what incentive do I have to marry the mother of my next child? I can have my new baby's mother file for child support, get the first child's payment reduced, and then my second child's mother can take the support I pay and put back into our household. It seems like a scam to me, especially because you cannot do this if you marry the mother of your second child. Am I right? Support is not reduced if you have a second child within wedlock, but if you have a second child out of wedlock, support for the first child can be reduced. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Humusluvr

This doesn't seem really fair. If I have a child with someone and pay support, what incentive do I have to marry the mother of my next child? I can have my new baby's mother file for child support, get the first child's payment reduced, and then my second child's mother can take the support I pay and put back into our household. It seems like a scam to me, especially because you cannot do this if you marry the mother of your second child. Am I right? Support is not reduced if you have a second child within wedlock, but if you have a second child out of wedlock, support for the first child can be reduced. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Good point, newbie :)

Isis1

Good point, newbie :)
this is the only argument i had for that, was since there is no court order for the kid (baaa) in wedlock, then it could not be counted as it's not a court order. dad isn't FORCED to pay support for that child. once the child is under a court order for support, then the other court order takes the new court order into consideration.

that was my take on it. but i also thought it was an awesome question.

Humusluvr

this is the only argument i had for that, was since there is no court order for the kid (baaa) in wedlock, then it could not be counted as it's not a court order. dad isn't FORCED to pay support for that child. once the child is under a court order for support, then the other court order takes the new court order into consideration.

that was my take on it. but i also thought it was an awesome question.
I PM'd you something

SnowandIceGuy

So, isn't goodmom0723 sorta being scammed by her ex? He is getting his support on her children reduced, and the new support he's paying to lower the first support is an illusion. Yet numerous people have posted to this thread and accused her of being bitter, trying to take Dad to the cleaners, etc. It seems to me she's only trying to prevent him from dodging part of the support he's dutybound to pay to their children. Why the need to dump on the OP? She is not out of line to ask this question, IMO.

Humusluvr

So, isn't goodmom0723 sorta being scammed by her ex? He is getting his support on her children reduced, and the new support he's paying to lower the first support is an illusion. Yet numerous people have posted to this thread and accused her of being bitter, trying to take Dad to the cleaners, etc. It seems to me she's only trying to prevent him from dodging part of the support he's dutybound to pay to their children. Why the need to dump on the OP? She is not out of line to ask this question, IMO.
I happen to agree with you. Many seniors here do not. They made the point to me that "Why are his first children worth more than his new children?"

I don't see it that way. If you know your child support order is $500 a month, then you look at your finances, minus that money, and say to yourself "Can I afford a new child, while still paying my $500?" If the answer is no - no more babies for you!!!

And if your second ex has a baby with you, she knew you had babies first (presumably) and a child support order (presumably) so she knows you have an order. Second ex gets her support calculated out of his income, minus his first order.

Easy peasy in my book.

I should rule the world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">