• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support for a future step parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djseymou

What is the name of your state?
Iowa
My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married. He has three children outside of the home that he pays child support for and we have two together in our home. If we get married will my income be included in his child support payments,(meaning will they adjust it according to our combined income). If so, do we need to set up some type pre-nuptial agreement so that won't happen? Or will my assests be fine without doing anything about it. Confused and worried!

Neal1421

djseymou said:
Iowa
My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married. He has three children outside of the home that he pays child support for and we have two together in our home. If we get married will my income be included in his child support payments,(meaning will they adjust it according to our combined income). If so, do we need to set up some type pre-nuptial agreement so that won't happen? Or will my assests be fine without doing anything about it. Confused and worried!
No, your income will not be included for the child support.

I think this question gets posed at least six times a week. :rolleyes:

From what I've heard is NO, your income is not included, but if you co-mingle your bank accounts, and he falls behind in his support, when they garnish the account they will take whatever money is in the account, which would be YOUR money.

If there is a chance of that happening you would want to keep separate bank accounts.

Ratmann1

djseymou said:
Iowa
I had a similar situation in california although the laws of Iowa may be different and I an no expert by far. but the way in went for me was that When they tried to include my wifes income for my CS calculated payment, I fought it in court pleading to the judge the se simple facts. My new wife "IS NOT" the mother or biological parent to my children therefore she is under no financial obligation to pay support for them nor have her income calculated into mine for me to pay additional support unless she adopts the child legally. The judge saw it the same way and I wone the support case reducing my child support to what it should have been. Not sure if this helps you or not but it did for me. Good Luck.

Rick

S

shell007

NotSoNew said:
oh i want to say yes just because i am so tired of this question.
I was thinking the same exact thing. :D
Maybe the search button doesn't work for new members. :rolleyes:

djseymou said:
Iowa
Like others have said, your income should not be included but if you have joint assets (bank accounts, etc) and dad falls behind (and starts racking up some arrears) those assets could be seized. It would be very wise to not co mingle any assets until his legal support obligation ends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">