• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support has unexpectedly stopped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

What is the name of your state? IN
I've been divorced and receiving child support for 5 years. The state made changes in January making my support payment go through the Indianapolis office instead of the local counties. In January, the support payments started comming later and later. In the beginning, I didn't think too much about the length of time thinking it was the states slowness. Now, It's been a month without a support payment. I went to my local courthouse clerks office to find out the funds had not be received from the employer of my ex husband. They told me he either lost his job or there is some problem. I talked to my ex and he said they are still taking payments out of his check.

If I tried to call his employer, would they give me any information? Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what can be done to get things back in order?

Thank you for any and all help.

nextwife

So the state CSE couldn't even tell you, and didn't know, if they had or had NOT recieved payments from his employer? "They told me he either lost his job or there is some problem". They won't actually state they are3 NOT recieving payments, just that they don't know?

LdiJ

sbever said:
What is the name of your state? IN
I've been divorced and receiving child support for 5 years. The state made changes in January making my support payment go through the Indianapolis office instead of the local counties. In January, the support payments started comming later and later. In the beginning, I didn't think too much about the length of time thinking it was the states slowness. Now, It's been a month without a support payment. I went to my local courthouse clerks office to find out the funds had not be received from the employer of my ex husband. They told me he either lost his job or there is some problem. I talked to my ex and he said they are still taking payments out of his check.

If I tried to call his employer, would they give me any information? Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what can be done to get things back in order?

Thank you for any and all help.
If an employer is dealing with a cash flow crunch, its not unusual at all for things like child support payments and payroll taxes to be given last priority. You really can't contact his employer but the CSE agency could....and it might be a good idea to be a "squeaky wheel" until they do that for you.

sbever

The state child support has not received funds from the employer. The state said there was nothing they could do and I would have to contact the ex to have HIM contact his employers payroll office to see what the problem is.

Thank you Lady in Red. If, they tell me there is nothing they can do - can you tell me the steps to get them to help me? If it weren't for my tax refund - I'd be really hurting. It won't last long so I need to figure something out soon.

diggs05

Have your Ex-husband go to the local child support office with his stubs the deductions usually are listed and maybe he can get some answers.

sbever

Got an email back from ex husband. He contacted his employer and they say they ARE sending the check to the state and "it must be a hold up at the state office". The state is saying they have not received anything. I am completely lost and don't even know what to do now. One is saying they sent the money, the other is saying they haven't gotten any funds... any advice anyone??? I'm getting no where!

Thank you for any help.

N

nicetryadmin

sbever said:
Got an email back from ex husband. He contacted his employer and they say they ARE sending the check to the state and "it must be a hold up at the state office". The state is saying they have not received anything. I am completely lost and don't even know what to do now. One is saying they sent the money, the other is saying they haven't gotten any funds... any advice anyone??? I'm getting no where!

Thank you for any help.
I hate to tell you this, but I'll bet it is the state that has their head up their ass. Your ex knows if he is having the money taken out. Once it's garnished, it's out of HIS hands (another good thing about garnishment). You have no right to contact his employer. CSE should not even be contacting him, but his employer. Again, IF it is the case where the employer isn't sending money. You should know NO state agency is going to admit they made a mistake. They'll be quick to point the finger at someone else.

But you stated the state just switched over to a new system, so I'll bet they're all screwed up. You might want to try to see if other's are having problems. You could also ask the ex if he wouldn't mind sending you a copy of his paystub that indicates support has been taken out. That would narrow it down.

nicetryadmin said:
You could also ask the ex if he wouldn't mind sending you a copy of his paystub that indicates support has been taken out.
Oh please, like that's gonna happen. Sound legal advice there.:rolleyes:

sbever

I talked to state office again and asked to speak to supervisor and would only allow my name and phone number to be given to the supervisor since she takes calls as well. They told me His employer needed to contact their contact person at the state support office to iron things out. I feel like I'm getting nowhere. Is it possible for me to contact his employer?

Sinsaint

My husband went through a similar situation a few years ago. CS was being deducted from his pay every week but his ex wasn't getting it. To make a long story short, his ex got nowhere every time she called the child support office. He even gave her copies of his stubs so she could prove the deductions were made. It wasn't until quite a few of the males in the company started getting non-payment notices with jail threats that anything happened. My husband and about 15 other guys all went to the DA's office with their paystubs. The CS office and the courthouse didn't care that the deductions were being made but not sent in but the local DA cared. I'm not suggesting the same applies here but if you are on good terms with your ex you should ask him if he could give you copies of his paystub and maybe see if he could quietly ask other people with support obligations if they are having the same problem.

Might I also suggest, if his employer is keeping his CS payments, you'd be wise to tell him to start looking for a new job. Keeping CS payments is a good indicator there is some financial mismanagement and might not be confined to just CS payments. Within a few weeks of the CS issue coming out it was discovered they were also keeping all the taxes they were deducting. Then they all got laid off. The majority of the people who applied for Unemployment were told the company said they never worked for them. And the few employees they admitted to having, they grossly underreported their wages.

nextwife

There are many cases known in which CSE misdirected the payments to the account of another guy with the same or similar name. or of a close SS#. There are also cases in which the NCP was paying on more than one order, but CSE sent all the money to just one of the CPs instead of both.

NotSoNew

your ex really has to have it straightened out. he has to call and get to the bottom of it, not you. i had the same problem once, i called and they told me my ex was just a deadbeat and never paid. turned out they applied the money to the wrong account but had he not stayed on top of them i am sure they woulda never figured it out!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And a way to get ex to do so is to explain to him that if you complain and he shows that he is x amount of weeks behind (in Ohio it is a month according to CSEA) then CSEA will start an investigation which will look poorly on him. My ex was in the same situation -- I called and said CSEA hadn't received any payments from him and he said they were deducted. I said well they aren't with CSEA and CSEA states that if he hits a month past due they will start an investigation so he should check with his employer. His employer found that a check they had written got lost. They had to issue a stop payment and reissue the funds for everyone that worked at the company. It wasn't a purposeful problem by any involved but a misplaced check from the company to CSEA.

ceara19

SingleMom67 said:
If the correct amount of child support really is being deducted from his check, he has no reason NOT to show her. If he really is paying, he will have to be the one to straighten things out. If he won't give her proof of payment, she needs to stay on top of the states CSE office until she gets an answer.

N

nicetryadmin

SingleMom67 said:
Hey SingleMoron...it's called trying to figure out who is lying. CSEA or any state agency will be quick to point the fingers at everyone else. Until you know what you're talking about, stifle it, Edith or you can re-position your head up your a** where it usually is.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">