• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaylat7

What is the name of your state? TX

OK...I have a 10month old (adorable :) ) daughter and I am going to court in the morning to decide if/how much child support her father will have to pay. We had our first hearing two weeks ago to establish paternity. He said he doesn't want a relationship or even to meet my daughter. He wanted to sign his rights away at the last hearing, but was told that the state will fight that, since I don't have a husband to adopt my daughter. He(the NCP) then started to come up with every idea possible to get out of paying childsupport, all of which involved helping me financially until the judge agreed to let him sign away his rights(i.e....get Alyssa off of medicaid and pay for her insurance). I have no clue what to expect tomorow, or what/if to ask for anything. I'm so confused about the whole process, really.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
kaylat7 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

OK...I have a 10month old (adorable :) ) daughter and I am going to court in the morning to decide if/how much child support her father will have to pay. We had our first hearing two weeks ago to establish paternity. He said he doesn't want a relationship or even to meet my daughter. He wanted to sign his rights away at the last hearing, but was told that the state will fight that, since I don't have a husband to adopt my daughter. He(the NCP) then started to come up with every idea possible to get out of paying childsupport, all of which involved helping me financially until the judge agreed to let him sign away his rights(i.e....get Alyssa off of medicaid and pay for her insurance). I have no clue what to expect tomorow, or what/if to ask for anything. I'm so confused about the whole process, really.
DO NOT let this man pay you directly and do NOT let him out of getting a court order for support which will garnish his wages. He needs to be accountable. As for the visitation, that is a completely different matter. The NCPs ideas don't matter. Ask the court to order him to provide your daughter with medical insurance/pay for it as well as pay for child care (because you will need it as you ARE working, correct?) and a monthly support amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">