• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SOFreddie25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

So my husband is a stay-at-home-dad caring for our three children. He has two children from a former marriage for which he has a mediation agreement to pay child support. He is in arrears and is currently unemployed. When my sister was a live-in nanny, he worked part-time with garnishments to pay his support. However, he lost his job due to cut backs and my sister moved out leaving us without child care. We cannot afford day care or any paid care (my sister worked in exchange for room and board).

He has been issued a show cause for not making payments (which I cannot afford to make on his behalf). My question is, can the courts put him in jail for non-payment even though he is responsible for the care of three other children? If he goes to jail, I can't go to work and the family loses all source of income.

Additionally, he is not an absent father. He takes the children every other weekend and one week each summer. We contribute financially to birthdays and extracurricular activities when we can.

I'm panicking because of the implications of what the law CAN do. They have already suspended his driver's license.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

So my husband is a stay-at-home-dad caring for our three children. He has two children from a former marriage for which he has a mediation agreement to pay child support. He is in arrears and is currently unemployed. When my sister was a live-in nanny, he worked part-time with garnishments to pay his support. However, he lost his job due to cut backs and my sister moved out leaving us without child care. We cannot afford day care or any paid care (my sister worked in exchange for room and board).

He has been issued a show cause for not making payments (which I cannot afford to make on his behalf). My question is, can the courts put him in jail for non-payment even though he is responsible for the care of three other children? If he goes to jail, I can't go to work and the family loses all source of income.

Additionally, he is not an absent father. He takes the children every other weekend and one week each summer. We contribute financially to birthdays and extracurricular activities when we can.

I'm panicking because of the implications of what the law CAN do. They have already suspended his driver's license.

Yes, he can certain end up in jail. The other three children are not the court's problem - and his prior children don't need to eat less just because he's not working.

SOFreddie25

Yes, he can certain end up in jail. The other three children are not the court's problem - and his prior children don't need to eat less just because he's not working.
His ex-wife has also remarried, is living off of state and federal support and her husband works (she does not and never has). They are not going hungry by any means.

Proserpina

His ex-wife has also remarried, is living off of state and federal support and her husband works (she does not and never has). They are not going hungry by any means.

If she's getting state aid, he might find himself owing the state too.

Seriously - he needs to have been supporting his children.

Jail is usually a last resort - how long has he not been paying? How much does he actually owe?

Eekamouse

Wow. Why is breeding when he obviously can't afford to support his children? He needs to get a JOB.

SOFreddie25

When he's had work he's paid more than 80% of every paycheck to child support. It's been about 10 months since he last worked. He's in arrears over $30,000 but I don't know the exact number.

So the court's will seriously destroy a family and leave all of his children suffering if he can't pay? Because THAT makes sense...

OHRoadwarrior

As you noted, he is intentionally unemployed/underemployed. It is reasonable to asses support based on that choice. As you are the bread-winning portion of your team, the two of you should work out how a portion of your income can be directed to fund the liabilities he incurs staying home for your benefit.

Eekamouse

He knew 10 months ago and three children ago that he needs to support his offspring. How much is he supposed to be paying a month because judging from the amount in arrears, he wasn't paying when he had a job.

Proserpina

When he's had work he's paid more than 80% of every paycheck to child support. It's been about 10 months since he last worked. He's in arrears over $30,000 but I don't know the exact number.

So the court's will seriously destroy a family and leave all of his children suffering if he can't pay? Because THAT makes sense...
What about his OTHER family?

Why should THEY suffer?

I'm confused.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Here is the problem... It is no more her husband's responsibility to care for her children than it is for you to support his.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The court is not the one destroying a family. YOUR HUSBAND is the one being irresponsible with his breeding and non-support of his children causing the state to have to pick up the slack. Your husband is the one who is responsible for this mess. With $30k in arrears, he very well may be placed in jail for a period of time (criminal nonsupport) or for contempt until a purge can be paid. You are not seeing that the one at fault here is NOT the court but YOUR DEADBEAT HUSBAND.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As you noted, he is intentionally unemployed/underemployed. It is reasonable to asses support based on that choice. As you are the bread-winning portion of your team, the two of you should work out how a portion of your income can be directed to fund the liabilities he incurs staying home for your benefit.
Nothing reasonable about the bolded. They tend to unreasonable and stubborn as all get out.

Just Blue

Because they both remarried and had new families, which is very common. What an asinine comment...
Why can't your hubby work when you are not? He works a day shift you work nights...or he works nights and you work days. That way you or he are watching the children and no 3rd party care is needed. The GOV should not have to subsidize your hubby's procreation choices. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">